Art skill worth mentioning?

Started by
11 comments, last by dpadam450 11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been a bit of a lurker here and I wanted to get some advice as I'm a newbie trying to break into the industry. I'm currently more programming oriented in terms of skill set, but I do also have some artistic skill. However I'm unsure whether or not my art is really "worth mentioning" due to my actual background (and major) being in computer science.

Here are some example of sketches that I do. Critique is also always nice and appreciated. smile.png

[Link removed]

I think my big question here is: Is it even worth mentioning since I'll most likely be applying as a programmer? Would being a bit of an artist help me break into the industry?

-Jess

Advertisement

I'll most likely be applying as a programmer? Would being a bit of an artist help me break into the industry?

No. You can put it on your portfolio site, but it won't help you get a programming job. Once you get hired, you can hang a few of your best sketches at your desk. Focus on the programming.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you for the feedback. I'll avoid mentioning of it and probably remove from my portfolio of works.

I remember reading from your guide that artistic talent was a plus for getting into game-design. But since game design isn't exactly an entry level job, I was planning to break in as a programmer. I guess I should keep this to myself until I actually get the chance to get into design.

Sounds perfect for a small and/or indie developer; someone with a shoestring budget who can't afford programmers and artists. Unfortunately, they won't be able to afford to pay very well, either--if at all--but at least you'll know it's because they genuinely don't have the cash, and not because the execs are paying themselves much, much more than they're worth.

Major corporate developers like EA, Activision, or Ubisoft probably won't be interested; creativity frightens them, unless you're suggesting a creative new way to screw their customers for a quick buck, in which case they'll just take credit for the idea themselves.

As for your art, you're willing to post samples and ask for critiicism, so you're doing better than most. If I had to make a suggestion, I'd say you should try adding color; it's hard to read pure black and white.

I think that art skills have some benefits, even in larger production. Better said, not only the art skills, but the knowledge of the according tools. You need often a bridge between the art department and programmer department, therefore you have the role of a technical artist, someone who knows both languages and helps to communicate between the teams.

But I think that the role is often given to an artist with technically background knowledge, someone who knows technically limitations, can code some shaders etc.

I fear, that concept art is not really helpful in this situation, but a good knowledge about the common art tools (PS, ZBrush, Maya/Max) and a solid background in art (color/light theory etc.) could be a plus.

Just found this job opportunity of a technical artist on gamasutra, maybe it gives you more insign of what is expected from this position.

Thank you for the feedback, Sasquatch and Ashaman!

Sounds perfect for a small and/or indie developer; someone with a shoestring budget who can't afford programmers and artists. Unfortunately, they won't be able to afford to pay very well, either--if at all--but at least you'll know it's because they genuinely don't have the cash, and not because the execs are paying themselves much, much more than they're worth.

I'd definetly be fine with joining any indie project. I've done a couple small game projects myself, but I'd find the experience of working in a team invaluable, paid or not paid.

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd say you should try adding color; it's hard to read pure black and white.

Yes, I definetly need to post some of my color works. Sadly, a lot of my colored works are large canvas watercolor and pastel which don't lend themselves kindly to my very small scanner. :(

I fear, that concept art is not really helpful in this situation, but a good knowledge about the common art tools (PS, ZBrush, Maya/Max) and a solid background in art (color/light theory etc.) could be a plus.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definetly look into getting better acquainted with some common art tools. I had previously used PS for a while, but it'd be nice to also become fluent in other art tools. And also, thank you very much for the link. :)

I think your employer is stupid if you have a skill that they ignore.

It is hard to balance your left and right brain out. There aren't many who bridge the gap and do both programming and art.

And that type of person can really be beneficial to a team.

Most of the people in HR departments wouldn't know anything about that though since they only do what they are told.

And from what I gather, they are told to seek highly specialized people with no knowledge of other fields.

Valve is one of the few companies that recognized multiple skills as a trait of value.

If I was an employer looking to hire a programmer, then I would see art skills as a bonus. Firstly, it would reassure me of your ability for cross-discipline communication, and secondly, could your art skills be used, even if in doodle form, to communicate your coding techniques in laymans terms across departments?

http://videogamepm.blogspot.co.uk/ [twitter]videogamepm[/twitter]

Some full colour works would be nice on your page, i see you have sketching down pat - if you want to finalize your artistic process, it should have a vibrant colour look to it.

bu te sketches are really nice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement