C++ Programming - What IDE to use ?

Started by
23 comments, last by ShereModulus 11 years ago

Just starting with my 3D game engine and i'm wandering what would the best IDE to use:

I have at the moment the following;

- Visual studio 2012 (with added plugins)

- Code-blocks

I'm just wandering is there something i'm missing that could be better, i personally prefer Visual studio at the moment.

So what i wan't to know any other possible IDE's i could use

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

If there was such a thing as the "best" IDE then there would only be one on the market (and everyone would be using it). Clearly this isn't the case and each have their own pros and cons. VS is a mighty fine IDE but of course it's Windows only so if you were working on multiple platforms then it might be more convenient to use a cross-platform IDE (of which there are a few). However, you state that you personally prefer VS so unless you have other requirements not stated in your OP then I see no pressing reason to switch to another.

There's a FAQ for this ;-)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Maybe Eclipse or Netbeans? It's more for Java but also C/C++-support. Now i'm using Eclipse atm

If you do Windows development, Visual Studio all the way. Others are not even close.

From your recent posts I see that you plan on working with Direct X so I guess you only target windows. If I'm right, I suggest you to continue with Visual Studio. I personally think its the best C++ IDE for windows, mainly because of its fast and reliable debugger (especially if you ever need to do remote debugging, using gdb for remote debugging is a pain in the ass...).

If you plan on going cross-platform, Qt Creator + CMake is a nice setup. The IDE is cross-platform, modern and provides a lots of tools (refactoring, code completion, gui designer with Qt -> nice for the engine's tools) while CMake give you a lots of flexibility and gives you a way to easily package your software across all platforms.

I also like QtCreator, though I use it with the default make setup (QMake).

Personally, I swear by Codeblocks because it's cross platform and it's pretty quick. Also, I find it easy to customize, but IDE is all about preference I guess. :P

Current Project

World Storm

out our Android app! (My roommate and I)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drsupersocks.ninja

CodeBlocks for Linux development.

VisualStudio2010 or CodeBlocks for Windows development.

If you're creating both Linux and Windows applications, CodeBlocks alone is fine.

Eclipse is very slow and extremely annoying in certain ways.

So you are going to develop a 3D game engine but you are asking what is the "best" IDE to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement