Starcraft II: Heart of the swarm. Essentialy useless DVD.

Started by
16 comments, last by Rakilonn 11 years, 1 month ago
Hi.

Would like to know if others are also vexed about this.

I live in South Africa. Bandwidth is extremely expensive and speeds are very slow. 2 days ago I bought heart of the swarm on DVD because downloading the game on my internet connection would cost me about $100. So I was pretty pissed when I realized that all the DVD does is start the patcher which then downloads the entire 8 GB... So apart from the fact that I'm still busy downloading it (8 GB will take me about a week to download) I'm also paying more than 3 times the amount for the game.

I understand that it has become the norm to have launch day patches. However. This is not a patch. It is the entire game.

Anyone else here that feels the same?
Advertisement

That is really silly, the DVD should at least contain most of the data. Does the disk really contain no data at all? What's on it?

I was really pissed when HL2 came out, and for the same reasons I bought the 5-CD version... only to find out that 100MiB of data was missing (which was a huge amount of data for me on my connection at the time).

If this one is like the first SCII, then I wish you the best. I had to go without internet for a while after having installed SCII and playing some of the campaign. I went back a month or two after not having internet and it told me I could not run the campaign because I was running something to the equivalent of a trial. Apparently every month or so you have to actually login to battle.net or that happens. I think I was able to run a generic multiplayer but that was it.

The DVD contains 8 gig of data yes. However the installer doesn't use it. I've looked through the blizzard forums and confirmed that its like that for everyone.

It would seem that instead of containing the data for the expansion the DVD contains most of the data of the original game and the reason given for this by blizzard is "To make it easier for first time starcraft players who might not have the original discs"

I had to go without internet for a while after having installed SCII and playing some of the campaign. I went back a month or two after not having internet and it told me I could not run the campaign because I was running something to the equivalent of a trial. Apparently every month or so you have to actually login to battle.net or that happens.

That doesn't happen from not logging in, that happens from not having a SC2 license registered with your bnet account. Sounds like you somehow bought the game but then installed the free version of SC2?

8 GB will take me about a week to download

Do you have any friends in the country who have already downloaded it? Sounds like it would be faster for them to zip up their SC2 folder, burn it / copy it to flash, and post it to you!!

This i did not want to hear, I'm pretty much in the same boat as op, I pay 10$ a gig, I was planning to pick up the expansion this weekend, but if i have to download an additional 8 gig's just to play, screw that.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

That doesn't happen from not logging in, that happens from not having a SC2 license registered with your bnet account. Sounds like you somehow bought the game but then installed the free version of SC2?

Full version off of my SC2 disk. Registered through my account. Was working fine (campaign and all) but logged in one day without internet and it wouldn't let me continue. When I finally got internet again, it was okay.

Wow that sucks.... do you guys want me to download it for you and send a USB? (I dont even think thats possible or legal but it really does suck, i remember the hell i had to go through back in the day with dialup and what not)

Install Apache and configure your hosts file to route the traffic back to your DVD? (not exactly, but you get the idea)

Madness? THIS IS STARCRAFT!

It does, unfortunately, happen from not logging in as well. If you go over about a month without logging in, it will essentially treat your install as being a trial account as it can't verify that you have any higher level. Having being stung by it a couple of times, I now make sure I log in just before I take my laptop somewhere that might leave me without an internet connection.

My Heart of the Swarm disk never even made it into the drive. The game was already patched to the latest Wings of Liberty patch, which apparently includes all of the needed files for HotS. So once I added the HotS key to my bnet account, I just needed to log in with no additional downloading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement