Why facebook games developed in FLASH and not HTML/5?

Started by
7 comments, last by Cornstalks 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello all

why most of the games in Facebook are developed in flash and not html or html 5 ?
im talking about the simple causal games .

is there special reason for this ?
i want to develop facebook game and i really don't what to start to learn FLASH .

Advertisement

Because HTML5 is new, fragmented, and has an inferior tool-chain.

That doesn't mean it's not perfectly capable however; just that you usually need to invest a bit more work to get to where you need to be.

Thanks for the replay , do you know maybe if there is any html5 or simple html games on Facebook ?
i tried i think 30-40 games from appdata , and all of them are flash

Thanks for the replay , do you know maybe if there is any html5 or simple html games on Facebook ?
i tried i think 30-40 games from appdata , and all of them are flash

I think you can integrate Unity3D as well

You might want to look at Skyscraper City, whose developer has a blog post about the challenges of having developed it with HTML 5.

i want to develop facebook game and i really don't what to start to learn FLASH .

That attitude in general won't get you very far. There is always a new language, skill, or technique to learn when developing something!

Thanks @SiCrane yes i know and read about them .
@MrDaaark i was just asking ..

If you had implemented some websites, you would though that flash is awesome because the result is consistent for everyone.

On the other hand, sometime I hate doing this type of things (i.e. HTML/CSS coding) sometimes, because at the end if you want to do something great it's full of hacks and anything can brake after a patch of a web browser. (Recently, that happens to me with chrome which now doesn't want to render a transition properly)

I wanted to make a game once using HTML5/JavaScript, but when I learned you can't even properly gaplessly loop an audio file without using non-standard extensions, I quit and moved on to Flash.

Then I realized that Flash has a similar issue and if you want to properly loop audio, you have to have Flash Professional (I was using FlashDevelop). So instead I wrote a program that can generate SWF files that contained gaplessly looping MP3s that I could import into FlashDevelop, instead of buying Flash Professional. It was a fun experiment, but at the same time it means I didn't get to work on my actual game for quite some time. The good thing is that at least I could work around the issue in Flash, unlike with HTML5/JavaScript (well, I could have used non-standard JavaScript APIs to gaplessly loop audio, but I wanted the game to work in all major browsers with your "standard" setup, and I'm pretty sure that would've been more work to "get it right" with all the different APIs).

Moral of the story: HTML5/JavaScript are pretty limited (especially if you just stick to what's standardized, and like others have said, support for the latest standard is quite fragmented, which sucks even more). Working in Flash can give you some additional capabilities/speed that straight HTML5/JavaScript might be lacking, but if you don't get Flash Professional you'll still hit some annoying obstacles.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement