SlimDX future?

Started by
7 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 11 years ago

Hi to all, especially hi to SlimDX project developers.

I want to ask you about the future of the SlimDX. As i know the SlimDX project hasn't been updited since two year. So the anwer is: Is SlimDX still alive project? Will any updates be release in future (i.e. WinRt support)?

Advertisement

Looking at the source at Google Code, I found updates as soon as two days ago. So I'd say it's still alive.

I don't know for sure, but the announcements from team members some time ago point in a direction that it would not be developed further, though with the updates Claesson points out, it looks like someone is at least supporting the existing code.

SharpDX is similar, but already supports modern stuff, including WindowsRT and is being actively developed. There's also MonoGame, the open-source XNA competitor.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thanks for answers.

As the no person directly related to SlimDX gave an answer, the question is still opened. A big thank you to guys that have created this nice project. We use it in our projects and it is important to know whether this project will be further developing or not? Please share this information with us.

I can verify that switching from SlimDX to SharpDX is almost trivial, even for a newb like me, if you're concerned about continued development.

I can verify that switching from SlimDX to SharpDX is almost trivial, even for a newb like me, if you're concerned about continued development.

You are right, cephalo. But it is always better leave the well working code without any modifications.. So, before migration to SharpDX i wanted to know whether this is necessary. And i was surprised that no one gave me an answer about SlimDX further developing. As i read on slimdx.org this form is considered as main forum of SlimDX.

As far as I know, SlimDX is not supporting Window 8 (Desktop, RT, Pro, Metro) libraries. Whereas SharpDX is. So if you are making software that works on Windows XP, Vista, and 7, stick with SlimDX. If you are making software that works on Windows 8, migrate your code to SharpDX.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You are right, cephalo. But it is always better leave the well working code without any modifications.. So, before migration to SharpDX i wanted to know whether this is necessary. And i was surprised that no one gave me an answer about SlimDX further developing. As i read on slimdx.org this form is considered as main forum of SlimDX.

I guess what I meant to say was, if you continue down the path of SlimDX, and it turns out to be a mistake for whatever reason, it's not a big deal. You could probably change the whole project over in a day.

SlimDX works fine, and we still fix bugs from time to time. We'll probably do a maintenance release some time soon. It even works fine on Windows 8 desktop.

What we won't be doing is adding support for Metro apps on Windows 8, so if you need to target that you'll have to look elsewhere.

Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement