What do you want in a Next Generation Console?

Started by
23 comments, last by Hodgman 11 years ago

Hello Fellow Developers!

I am working on a product and was wondering what would you like to see in a next generation console?

Thanks,

Kammeron Randle

Advertisement
Lots of good games.

Beyond that... who cares, really?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

The ability to use the consumer version as a dev-kit would be my 'must have' feature.

< $ 300, API for indies, indies channel, keep it an offline console

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Ownership of my games: Either DRM-free, so I can copy them, or at the very least, future versions of the same console shouldn't make me repurchase the same downloadable games.

Don't require server connections for single-player games.

Ease of use: Click 'download' on a game I purchased, and I boot up a different game while the first game downloads in the background.

Doesn't try to trick me: Don't make me buy your own currency. If I want to buy a $7.50 game, don't make me buy $10 worth of your money.

Any game available on disk should also be available for digital purchase (and buying a disk gives the digital version as well). I don't buy games at $60 or $50. If the game never decreases in price, I'm either going to buy it used (unfortunately giving you no money as a developer) or not buy it at all.

[minor change of topic]

This is why I buy on Steam. The people who want to play the game the second it comes out, they feel it's worth $60 to them - that doesn't mean it's worth $60 to everyone. After a year, it should be $40. After another year, $20. From time to time, it should go on sale for $10-15. That's when I'll pick it up... Not because I don't want developers to profit, but simply because very very few games are ever worth $60 to me personally. When I do buy a game for $15, then I want the money to go to the developers. By not decreasing the prices a reasonable amount over time, it's the developers (well, okay, the publishers) who drive customers to used-game sales and (worst case) to piracy.

The annual amount I spend on games? Less than $100 total. If your products aren't within my price range, then I won't buy your games, or I'll buy them used. I'm fine buying 4-year old games - but if you don't make them available to me (because once they stop selling, then you stop producing disks) then I can't buy them. Digital distribution has reduced your: A) disk manufacturing costs, B) distribution costs, C) middlemen costs. Instead of $50 dollar games decreasing in prices, they rose to $60 prices instead. huh.png Okay, so I'm oversimplifying, and ignoring rising game development costs, rising marketing costs, and the economic downturn. But if the economic downturn hurt studios so badly, how do you think they hurt consumers? The response should've been cutting costs, not raising prices, otherwise you drive more customers to used-sales and piracy.

I don't want $1 games on the iPhone either. Give me a happy middle. $10-$20 games (several years after release) for 10-20 hours of gameplay. No hidden fees and no monthly fees.

[/derail]

Other than that, lots of cooperative splitscreen games. I like local coop and local multiplayer.

Would it be unhelpful to say I really wish consoles would go away and all new games would come out for the PC...? unsure.png Though, I wouldn't say no to a tablet phone (like a smart phone with a much bigger screen and a little usb gamepad and headphones, and I could read my ebooks on it while listening to my mp3s).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Wow.

First two responses got straight to the top 2 issues. I'm left with nothing to say except, "Yup."
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I want familiar APIs and easy access to devkits. Also lots of memory.

Oh, and a userbase. Definitely need a userbase.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

It would be nice if console manufacturers would stop thinking indie developers have cooties or whatever. We wont kill game sells by creating indie content.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks, all the information you are providing is really helpful.

It would be nice if console manufacturers would stop thinking indie developers have cooties or whatever. We wont kill game sells by creating indie content.

I know right! This is not going to be the case with my product. wink.png

Ownership of my games: Either DRM-free, so I can copy them, or at the very least, future versions of the same console shouldn't make me repurchase the same downloadable games.

Don't require server connections for single-player games.

Ease of use: Click 'download' on a game I purchased, and I boot up a different game while the first game downloads in the background.

Doesn't try to trick me: Don't make me buy your own currency. If I want to buy a $7.50 game, don't make me buy $10 worth of your money.

Any game available on disk should also be available for digital purchase (and buying a disk gives the digital version as well). I don't buy games at $60 or $50. If the game never decreases in price, I'm either going to buy it used (unfortunately giving you no money as a developer) or not buy it at all.

[minor change of topic]

This is why I buy on Steam. The people who want to play the game the second it comes out, they feel it's worth $60 to them - that doesn't mean it's worth $60 to everyone. After a year, it should be $40. After another year, $20. From time to time, it should go on sale for $10-15. That's when I'll pick it up... Not because I don't want developers to profit, but simply because very very few games are ever worth $60 to me personally. When I do buy a game for $15, then I want the money to go to the developers. By not decreasing the prices a reasonable amount over time, it's the developers (well, okay, the publishers) who drive customers to used-game sales and (worst case) to piracy.

The annual amount I spend on games? Less than $100 total. If your products aren't within my price range, then I won't buy your games, or I'll buy them used. I'm fine buying 4-year old games - but if you don't make them available to me (because once they stop selling, then you stop producing disks) then I can't buy them. Digital distribution has reduced your: A) disk manufacturing costs, B) distribution costs, C) middlemen costs. Instead of $50 dollar games decreasing in prices, they rose to $60 prices instead. huh.png Okay, so I'm oversimplifying, and ignoring rising game development costs, rising marketing costs, and the economic downturn. But if the economic downturn hurt studios so badly, how do you think they hurt consumers? The response should've been cutting costs, not raising prices, otherwise you drive more customers to used-sales and piracy.

I don't want $1 games on the iPhone either. Give me a happy middle. $10-$20 games (several years after release) for 10-20 hours of gameplay. No hidden fees and no monthly fees.

[/derail]

Other than that, lots of cooperative splitscreen games. I like local coop and local multiplayer.

Great info and ideas. smile.png

< $ 300, API for indies, indies channel, keep it an offline console

You read my mind for the most part. biggrin.png Thanks. smile.png

I want familiar APIs and easy access to devkits. Also lots of memory.

Oh, and a userbase. Definitely need a userbase.

Thanks! Trust me, it will have lots of memory. wink.png

Lots of good games.

Beyond that... who cares, really?

Thanks smile.png

The ability to use the consumer version as a dev-kit would be my 'must have' feature.

Thanks smile.png

Thanks again! Continue to leave replies about what you would want to see in a next generation console. Kickstarter coming soon. wink.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement