Do You Think That Flattr Could Be Profitable For Pay-What-You-Want?

Started by
0 comments, last by shadowomf 11 years, 1 month ago

I recently heard about a payment platform created by Peter Sunde, co-founder of The Pirate Bay, called Flattr that works by depositing X amount of currency into your account, and on certain websites where there is a Flattr terminal, you can add a point to it, and at the end of the month your money is divided according to the points and sent to the website. I know that GIMP has a Flattr terminal, but they are FOSS, not a for-profit venture. I was thinking about (instead of paying for bandwidth for direct downloads, using PayPal, creating an LLC, or working with Steam) just distributing my game via torrent and then having a Flattr terminal on my small website. Would I make any money at all, do you think? It would be a much cheaper initial cost, but would it be worth it?

Do you think it would be a better decision to just have a PayPal transaction or Steam?

EDIT: This is just a hobby, so I'm not trying to get by on this, but I do want a little bit of compensation for my hours upon hours of heap allocator bugs smile.png

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Advertisement

I believe it would be better to offer multiple payment options.

Often one single payment option is not available in all countries or the user just did not participate or some other stuff.

For example I don't know a single person that uses Flattr and getting anyone to create a new account just to make voluntary payments does sound unlikely.

Don't limit yourself to one option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement