• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KaiNiklas

ideas about collission detect in game level

3 posts in this topic

hi,

i just wanne know how you would solve the collision detection in a game like counterstrike ? thinkmabout the buildings eg. so there are walls with doors - caves , and so on....
so i had 2 ideas beside coll detect with every triangle.

one is to have a invisible geometry that encapsulates every space you cant access ( walls, ... ) and use isInside() function to check every frame ( in octree of course )

second is to draw boxes above every solid element using its normals and test for pointInside() this triangle boxes - again of course with octree preselect.

i have these ideas but bevor i start implement it , imwanne hear how you do it... maybe i just did not thought of a more simple idea..

thanx
uwi2k2

pretty much like cr99192 said. some other games uses colliders defined by the level designers. think about UT2003 for example there is a lot of details on the walls (pipes..) but the collision is far from all of that

Indeed counter strike uses the actual display objects for collision, diminishing level designer's job. It also uses plane following to simplify dynamics computations from the user input. gravity is out of the equation and takes away a lot of instabilities due to its great values. (9.8m/s/s is... STRONG)

Also, think about the volume problem, that is the most difficult. You don't want to test anything IsInside(), you want to test a bounding volume (your player) against another volume (the world) which is much much more complex than "this point is IN or OUT the world ?" And complexity only increases when you realize that you don't even only need to decide if your "volume is IN or OUT the world", but how to make it sllide, and if you want to push it further, to avoid any chance of traversal of slim barriers at high speeds, you would even want to make it "sweeped". sweep volume collision detection is difficult. I'd rather recourse to a library like bullet to take care of it, unless you're doing your master in physics related to numerical methods for example. If you want to make a game and actually finish it... :)

I'm one to talk because I attempted to recreate an engine like the one of half life based on hammer editor's output, and attempted a sweeped collision detector/reactor using paul nettle's introduction: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/general-collision-detection-for-games-using-ell-r1026

unfortunately I used variable time steps and got un-masterizable reactions, as well as impossibility to climb stairs, which led me to give up.

I realize now that collision detection was just impossible to do cleanly with only one model from the start. and you need to trick everywhere, like cutting gravity when you know you are already in contact, or using probes like cr88192 said, and various dirty tricks... but it works like that in the real world.

Last advice : http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/