Sign in to follow this  
george7378

DirectX sprite white edges

george7378    1441

Hi everyone,

I'm drawing some alpha blended sprites using D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND, and I've noticed that the sprites show some artifacts around their edges, where the alpha blending takes place. You can see some on the green arrow effects in this image:

[attachment=14312:sprite_white.jpg]

The edges of the arrow show some whiteness and there's a vertical white line at the tip.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks!

Icebone1000    1958

Hi everyone,

I'm drawing some alpha blended sprites using D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND, and I've noticed that the sprites show some artifacts around their edges, where the alpha blending takes place. You can see some on the green arrow effects in this image:

attachicon.gifsprite_white.jpg

The edges of the arrow show some whiteness and there's a vertical white line at the tip.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks!

I guess linear filtering is taking the pixels from the other side of the sprite, since its on the edge. Id try making the sprite have the image not touching the edges, or change the filtering mode if its not a problem for you.

george7378    1441

It seems that he/she has! I loaded in the textures using D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx() and specified D3DX_FILTER_NONE, and it looks much better. In fact, all my sprites do. This also has the added advantage that the textures aren't scaled to the nearest power of 2. Thanks for the help!

Just as a bit of a bonus, here are the sprites working nicely now:

[attachment=14317:lem 3d hud.jpg]