What language do I use?

Started by
15 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years ago

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games. You can use any and there isn't a specific one, but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game? I don't really have a preference on which one I like the best, I also would like to note that I plan on a future in game design, be it independent or professional(at a AAA company).

Advertisement

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

You can use any and there isn't a specific one

And you just answered your own question.

but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

You should use the language you know best, which in your case sounds like C#. Plus, you already know some of an API that works with C#. That's a great recipe that you won't have with any other language or API right now.

The quality of games you make has everything to do with your skill as a coder and a game designer, and virtually nothing to do with the language you choose. The other factors you're hinting at are irrelevant at this point in your skill development.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one.

Challenge Accepted.

Well, they could tell you which is the language (mostly) used to build core engines of games such as Crysis and the like. But as already said, that info will not make you a better coder, not will make you write your first games (which is something far more important).

If you like C# and not against going further in learning it, I'd say go with it.

I know you want to start as perfect as you can, but honestly don't affraid to make mistakes - it's a natural part of the learning process. At this point language wont be the thing that is holding you from creating your personal Crysis =)

Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

I'd say python, because it is closer to the design aspects. It is fast enough for 2D games.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement