What language do I use?

Started by
15 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years ago

Ok C++, I found myself enjoying it more today.

Advertisement

Since you know Python and C#, go with that. From my experience programming games, learning game programming is just learning a graphics API(unfortunately where I study in college it is not taught) and solving problems given the data structures you already implemented

Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

Make one! Where are your problem solving skills? tongue.png (tongue in cheek)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Still stuck on the decision.

If you hit all the languages with a dart, you set them up on your dart board wrong ;)

I can't find a dartboard xD

Make one! Where are your problem solving skills? tongue.png (tongue in cheek)

Make one? Pick one! Nearly any noun will do-- people, places, things...

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

>You can use any and there isn't a specific one

And you just answered your own question.

but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

Im going with C++, any suggestions on libraries for a 2D game, I will eventually start 3D so I was thinking SFML but it seems so tedious to set up.

SFML is a good choice for C++.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Tedious to set up is something you have to get used to if you're going with C++ smile.png

SFML is fairly straightforward though, just follow the tutorial and you'll be fine.

Ok so I know it's been asked a thousand times, but what language truly should be used to make good quality games.

Out of curiosity, why do you think you'll get The One True Answer if it's never been given before in the thousands of times this question has been asked?

>>You can use any and there isn't a specific one

lockquote>

And you just answered your own question.

>but based on the fact that I know a small-medium amount in C#(XNA framework), C++(just basic stuff), and Python(a little more than I know about C++)...which should I try to learn the most in right now for developing an independent, most likely 2D, game?

Any of them. Seriously, you're very likely (as in 100% likely if you actually have any interest in programming) to learn several languages as you go through life making games. Using one now doesn't prevent you from using a different one later. Just pick whichever one you enjoy working in the most. And if there isn't one that stands out as particularly interesting or enjoyable to you, put them on a dart board and throw darts until you hit one. Seriously.

Good luck smile.png

Im going with C++, any suggestions on libraries for a 2D game, I will eventually start 3D so I was thinking SFML but it seems so tedious to set up.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement