Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khatharr

C++ Concurrency Library

7 posts in this topic

I was looking over Microsoft's Parallel Patterns Library and saw parallel_for_each(), which is something that I had been thinking would be a nice feature for some time now. I poked around Boost and didn't see anything similar. Does anyone know if there are there any plans to make a more portable implementation of this kind of thing?

I don't really need any big concurrency frameworks, just something like the parallel_for_each() that opens the possibility of using multiple cores to work on large blocks of data. (My texture hue-change routine would LOVE this...)

Thank you for any replies or infos. smile.png

'SPMD'

Ah, I used to do something like that in Ruby for accelerating large http downloads.

I'll take a look at TBB.

Thanking you.

Have you tried C++'s standard library already? <future> and async in particular?

It doesn't give you tools to automatically parallelize a loop like OpenMP does, but it does look extremely convenient for pushing some kinds of work on their own threads.

There's also thrust, a nice parallelization framework. You can find it here. It can use GPU so is even more powerful for some solutions.

I poked around in the async stuff for a little while, but really I'm only interested in the parallel_for_each() at the moment. Honestly my only problem with the MS impl is that it's platform specific. I'm really quite interested in the C++11 async stuff, but going to school for programming is heavily interfering with programming time. -.-

I've added OpenMP and thrust to the research list as well. Thanks, guys. smile.png