Scripting language for some specific tasks

Started by
0 comments, last by turch 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi guys.

I have a question regarding a choice of a scripting language for a game i'm creating. I've read quite a lot of articles on the internet regarding this issue, but most of them are quite general, so i thought i'll give you a quick background and specific features i need.

I am making a game in C++ only atm, with a couple of libraries ( SFML, Box2d), and the core logic of it is pretty much done. ATM i'm moving on to create content, which requires alot of placing objects and fine-tuning things like locations, velocities and whatnot.

What i require is someting light-weight, possibly easiest to embed and with familiar ( similar to C++) or easy syntax, simply to be able to change values during run time and write some parts of the code, that will require fine-tuning, like AI.

I am the only one doing the code, so i won't be making any editors or anything more advanced.

From what i've read Python is too heavy and unnecessary for such a task. Lua is lighter, but i'm not a fan of the syntax, and it requires a lot of boilerplate code to get things done. And even though it is quite popular, i have hard time finding good entry level articles. The one i find most interesting is AngelScript, since it works closely with C++, has similar syntax and is fast. Is it a good choice, or are there some others better suited for the task?

Advertisement

"ChaiScript is the first and only scripting language designed from the ground up with C++ compatibility" and is very lightweight ("a header-only library"). I've used it before and had excellent results. It does, however, require either Boost or C++11

I've heard great things about Falcon, which isn't quite as lightweight, but trades it in for (allegedly) excellent flexibility. I've never used it but have had several people recommend it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement