Advice needed for Game design university selection

Started by
2 comments, last by Sacaldur 11 years ago

Hello.

My career plan is to be a game designer and i am on the step of choosing a university.I got accepted in 4 universities,2 of them are about game development which focuses more on programing (napier edinburgh ,westminster university) and 2 of them are more focused on game design with

a minimal focus on programming (brunel,east london university).I am having trouble choosing which one to choose since i don't know how important programming skills are for finding a game design position longterm.I'd be happy to give me some advice considering which one to choose.

Advertisement

1. I got accepted in 4 universities,2 of them are about game development which focuses more on programing ... and 2 of them are more focused on game design with a minimal focus on programming...
2. I am having trouble choosing which one to choose
3. since i don't know how important programming skills are for finding a game design position longterm.

1. Congratulations, that's an excellent problem to have!
2. You should make a decision grid. And if you're not passionate about programming, your passion should figure in. See this forum's FAQs.
3. Well, nobody ever gets hired as a game designer straight away, so you need a marketable skill. Level design is a great gateway to game design, and for that you do need some programming. Again: you should read the FAQs. The link can be found at
http://www.gamedev.net/forum/101-breaking-into-the-industry/
The link sends you to
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just make sure you look at the universities hire rates.

The video
">Extra Credits: On Game Schools should be interesting for you. I think it contains some important aspects which devide game schools into good ones and money making bad ones, though at some points it focuses on the USA.
The FAQ seems to references comparable informations so, as Tom mentioned, you should read it, too. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement