Would you play game like this? [RPG]

Started by
6 comments, last by Briiian Tsui 11 years ago

Think of a 2d skyrim/runescape single player randomized procedural generated roguelike for iOS & Android. You not only have combat skills but a ton of other skills like mining, smithing, crafting, herbalism, fishing, woodcutting, etc.

ROUGH CONCEPT
rpgg_zpsfa52b774.png

You go out and explore randomized dungeons, grassy plains, caves, etc(Similar to a roguelike) all filled with monsters and trees to cut down, veins of iron and copper to mine(Like runescape).

The more you do a certain thing the better you become at it, just like skyrim and runescape.

You have a "home base" or a plot of land for you to return to after adventuring and you place blocks to build a home.

So essentially it is an RPG that has zero story but focuses on building your home, exploring dungeons, looting, and improving your stats. I could have leaderboards for each individual stat, too.

So what do you think? I thought it would be a decent idea for a casual(or not) mobile rpg game that could be picked up and played for 2 minutes to an hour each sitting. Please give me any suggestions or concerns or pointers you have!

I've never worked this hard on anything before... Thank you, Unity.
https://market.andro...BackyardZombies
Advertisement

There are lots of games like this...

that being said I LOVE these RPG open world/random world grindfest so I would play it. Just have a good sense of scale and progression in context with the world you are in. I.E. it's hard to kill a wolf but by level 10 you are stepping on them

Sounds more like 2D Minecraft to me, and really fun (fun art, too).

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I would.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

It's definitely interesting. I've never had iOS or Android so I can't tell whether this has been done before or not, but it sure is interesting.

If you don't understand the stuff written here, please sharpen your C++ skills.

Such games are a lot,they sounded funny and challenge.

http://www.game-silkroad.com
info_game@silkroadcg.com

You should focus a little on the Lore in general. I see there will be no story or whatsoever but the theme is essential for more engaging play.

I'd not worry about a game without story / lore.

Players can make sense of the environment. just by seeing the graphics and designs would build a story setting in mind, its an automated process, a natural habit.

I wouldn't speak for all. And always an option for you, is to release a game without story first, then if it really sells, release an expansion that implements quests.

Although, a single player world like that makes you lonely, when you dont even have NPC to interact with.

The concern remaining is the fact that there are too many out there. Examples include The Blockheads (iOS) and Terraria.

All you need is just ONE selling point that makes yours different from the rest, and its an experience the majority could not find elsewhere, then you'd hit the jackpot,

What other similar games on mobile have not succeeded to do, is refined control. The android ver of minecraft failed completely. Blockheads tried to improve that, but i haven't tested it nor heard feedbacks. So my personal opinion is if you can design the game control / GUI that is comfortable and efficient on android, you'd win my heart.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement