[java] Java

Started by
9 comments, last by netkid 22 years, 6 months ago
Can Java make powerful games?? For the web?? java-script?? I have the book Visual Quickstart Java for the WWW. Is it a good book to learn the basics from?
Advertisement
The problem is that Java doesn''t have a very mature sound and control API and as I''m aware, does not have an API to Direct X. If you want to add joystick control and nice sound, you have to roll your own code for this, and that will be a major hassle for any beginning Java coder.

---------
-WarMage
...not that I condem your attempt!...
Actually Java has DirectX support, as well as OpenGL via the Java3D api. I would agree however that Java is lacking when it comes to sound. I will however say that I am not very familiar with java''s sound api''s.
Actually, Java does have a really sweet sound API in 1.3+, however Java 3D is not ready for prime-time, & there is no support for controllers besides the keyboard and mouse.

Games on the web made in Java can be really cool, but you''re not going to get the next Quake to happen. Also remember that Java support in the browser is (without the plugin) kinda fishy and really behind-the-times.

Skip java-script, it is not the same thing as Java.

I''ve never read the book you mentioned, but you might want to try either the Teach yourself Java in 21 Days books or The Java Tutorial.

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Looks like you want the Java Development Forum.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
OFF TOPIC..

quote:Original post by WayfarerX

"If consquences dictate our course of action, it doesn''t matter what''s right, it''s only wrong if you get caught."
- Tool

Just a simple question about your signature, what Tool song is this from???...

Yes, I''m a big Tool fan.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
Opiate->Jerk Off

I see them live tomorrow...anticipation growing....arggg

- Tool

"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
shaddap they were touring during my sodding exams the gits

sob sob

anywayze, there are a few nice examples of 3d java around can't remeber any links at the mo and i'm too lazy to look, i'm quite sure i found some throught this site hummmmm

oh yeah and Java is NOT java-script

anyone suggest any good books/resources for java3d?

Edited by - Foobat on October 21, 2001 6:35:10 PM
if you like programming, you like maths, you just don't know it yet
I have returned from the concert alive, only slightly however. That was one of the most insane experiences of my life. Those guys blow my mind every time.

Java3D: I just bought the paperback version of the specification, covers pretty much everything.

- Tool

Check out javagaming.org. Oh and someone has done a Quake clone in J3D and you wont see much of a difference.

-Soulice
-Soulice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement