nill

Started by
24 comments, last by BUCHANKO 11 years ago

Please see the first quoted reply

Go here http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2012-express

The express edition of VS2012 is free, with only a few restrictions (no plugins like visual assist).

DirectX11 works on windows7, providing your video card supports it http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

As far as tutorials go, check out my previous post.

Advertisement

nill

~~~~ Salami ~~~~

That's what I was talking about, it's a 30 day trial that requires some company related form to be filled out.

So fill in the info for Personal Use, the 1-person company whose CEO you are and which is registered at your home address.

nill

~~~~ Salami ~~~~

What about this then? >.<

That's the windows SDK, not the Directx SDK.

That's what I was talking about, it's a 30 day trial that requires some company related form to be filled out.

That page has a link to both the web installer and the iso for the express edition of VS2012. I was able to install without any trouble. It is a 30 day trial, but registration is free :

"After installation, you can try this product for up to 30 days. You must register to obtain a free product key for ongoing use after 30 days."

What about this then? >.<

That's the windows SDK, not the Directx SDK.

Microsoft made DirectX a part of Windows and no longer a standalone SDK as noone is using the sound or input features of the SDK the only real thing in use is D3D and as such they moved it. So for future versions of D3D you will have to download and install the windows sdk as that now contains what you want to use.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Microsoft made DirectX a part of Windows

Ah, my bad :) I'm still using the June 2010 DXSDK... although I have the windows sdk installed so maybe I should switch over.

Cheers!

Introduction:

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forums, so I thought starting at "beginners" is always a good idea.

Basically I have completed a course on C++ as well as Java and wish to go into big game development.

Problem:

I have chosen C++ and DirectX (I suppose that will be Direct3D) due to maximum performance and most flexible control (low-level ?), in high hopes I have made the right decisions.

Unfortunately I am a "fresh A4 list" when it comes to graphics programming or non-web game development. I am lost with the choices I made and ask for guidance:

• I can only guess that Visual C++ is the best compiler to be using ?
  • Which DirectX would I require and where do I get it ? There are so many different versions it's all confusing, I believe I should be getting a DirectX SDK ? The latest I found linked to something to do with Windows 8, I don't even want to go near Windows 8 or they "Windows store" and whatnot.
  • Just to make it clear, DirectX is free for whatever use right ?
  • Where would I find an up-to date tutorial, dealing with C++ ? Most are outdated and based on C.

Hey, I'm glad you have choosen the awesome path of C++ and DirectX. Both are great for maximum graphics performance and both are actively used for AAA titles, so make no mistake - you are on the right way.

1. Yes Visual C++ is the best by far. You can grab the free Visual Studio 2012 express for Desktop. It's completely free and can be used for product builds for free as well. You do have to register, but noone checks information you provide - key will be granted to you almost immediately after you push Submit.

">See this video.

2. You can choose between old SDK (June 2010) and new one which is already built in Windows 8 SDK, installed on your PC with VS 2012 Express. The last SDK doesnt have D3DX-helper components from previous one. But it's not a bad thing, since those part are never used in production. As a very big plus, you will actually learn how to handle model files, lights, textures and other type of things by yourself and understand this process instead of relaying on MS-provided D3DX library. Additionaly there won't be any D3DXVECTOR3 types from previous DirectX10 math library - DirectXMath is the new one, which is based on XNA Math and is now official math library for DirectX 11.

3. Yes DirectX is completely free.

4. I'd suggest you to start right from DirectX11, since it allows you to run your programs on DirectX9-DirectX11.1 hardware alltogether (by disabling new features on old hardware, ofcourse). Here is a good guide for DirectX11. However don't hesitate to look at DirectX10 examples as well, because DirectX10-DirectX11 interfaces are almost the same, excluding some few advanced features, provided in latest.

You will not find a good guide specially dedicated to Windows 8 DirectX SDK (well this one is the only one, which comes into my mind), but you can use the D3DX ones anyway, just wrap your head over getting reed of old D3DX-helpers. Learning without books is a hard choise for beginner. However, if you change your mind, I strongly recommend you to look at Frank De Luna DirectX 10-11 books - they are perfect.

If you don't want to use the lattest MS suggestions, just grab VS2012 Express and July 2010 DirectX SDK and copy-paste linked tutorials =)

Good luck!

The latest version (I believe) of the DirectX 11 SDK can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

noone is using the sound or input features of the SDK

Out of curiosity, why not?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement