Got cool character structures?

Started by
17 comments, last by Therian 22 years, 6 months ago
I know this is wandering off subject, but I always thought someone should give villagers a struct of needs... Like the sims. Then have what they do be controlled by the needs. You''d end up with a living town!

Just a side note. :p

--Lowell N. Manners
lowell@makevideogames.com
MakeVideoGames.com
--Lowell N. Mannerslowell@makevideogames.comMakeVideoGames.com
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Why is this under Game Programming?

Besides, "character structures" only really matter in RPGs. In most other genres we just need a bunch of simple stats (health/energy, flags for what you''ve collected/learned and skills). In some genres (eg Puzzle games), the only important piece of character info is the player''s name and score.

Is it me, or do you always have to find some flaw with others, their thoughts, where they are posting the information, or just some irrelavent comment that does not pertain to the thought of the post?

Looked at your profile and most of the random posts I peered at by you were negative. The GDNets staff should ban you. Ever hear of the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don''t say anything at all." I''m aware I''m not following that saying this time, only due to make your actions known to yourself.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is it me, or do you always have to find some flaw with others, their thoughts, where they are posting the information, or just some irrelavent comment that does not pertain to the thought of the post?

It''s definitely you - oh, I forgot, you''re anonymous.

I really don''t care what you think. The forums are set up in such a way as to promote focused discussion, and if your topic seems borderline then justify it. I''m not saying this thread should be closed or removed (and I''m not the only one who thinks it wasn''t clear how it related to the forum), just that the reasons behind it be made apparent.

The thread starter has done so, so you may now shove a pike up your ass.

quote:Looked at your profile and most of the random posts I peered at by you were negative. The GDNets staff should ban you.

Since you''re not one of them, and they''ve never mailed me to complain (except Wavinator asking me to go easy in the Game Design forum), "I shit on you" (D12).;p

Seriously, some of you freaks go around trying to build up mental images of people. You know nothing about me; my views here may not even be representative of who I am in the real world (you do remember what that is). What''s it to you if I''m a negative bastard who shoots down people''s hopes? So what if I think people who aren''t willing to take the time to learn how to do things properly (and want to be spoonfed solutions) are lazy and foolish? How e take affect price of akara for market?

I''m a picky bastard, and I believe in order. There''s a lounge for your character flaw analyses; use it! If you''re going to post in here, post about game programming . Therian explained that it''s usually programmers who have to translate all those design descriptions into code, so this is relevant. Posting about your favorite game is not. Collision detection is, but the Math and Physics forum would give you better answers. it''s not just about your post, it''s about helping you get the best replies.

So, as Nazrix'' .sig says, "go FAQ yourself."

quote:Ever hear of the saying "If you have nothing nice to say, don''t say anything at all." I''m aware I''m not following that saying this time, only due to make your actions known to yourself.

I''ve heard of that saying, and I have plenty to say so I say it. You don''t like it - that doesn''t make it any less valid. Did it occur to you that most of those posts are in response to people like you who couldn''t leave well enough alone?

Pathetic.

To you it''s a Bently, to me it''s a blue car...
"Diddy"
P.Diddy
quote:Original post by Lowell Manners
I know this is wandering off subject, but I always thought someone should give villagers a struct of needs... Like the sims. Then have what they do be controlled by the needs. You''d end up with a living town!

There is a discussion going on about just this in the AI forum; It has gotten quite interesting too.

To the Other Anonymous Poster:
Yah, Oluseyi is a dick.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
[To the Other Anonymous Poster:
Yah, Oluseyi is a dick.

A huge one!:p

To you it''s a Bently, to me it''s a blue car...
"Diddy"
P.Diddy
quote:Original post by Hyatus
>cockiness - also used for facial models; cockiness tells how
>well a player can BS his or her way out of situations; how
>convincing the player is when bargaining with shop keepers and
>NPCs

Uhmm...then what''s the point of your charisma variable? o.O

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Fair question.

charisma is used to gain followers of all types -- rich, poor, wise, ignorant, etc -- through an aura one possesses

cockiness is almost the same, but people with more wisdom can see through the false charisma that is cockiness

Slight difference, but it is there.
quote:It''s definitely you - oh, I forgot, you''re anonymous.

Oh, please forigve me. I was unaware that anonymous posters didn''t have any logical reasoning or thoughts.

quote:I really don''t care what you think.

Actually you do to respond to my comments and everyone elses.

quote:The thread starter has done so, so you may now shove a pike up your ass.

Awww poor S.N. Getting upset? :''( Lets go cry to your mother.

quote:Seriously, some of you freaks go around trying to build up mental images of people. You know nothing about me; my views here may not even be representative of who I am in the real world (you do remember what that is).

Ah but you can and do learn about others through posts like yours. Which directly state you''re an ignorant child that is .. what did you say in the ''Main Lead Character'' forum, 27? Pathetic is what you say ... hah ... Sad, two faced otherwise you''d be disliked in real life also eh? Hide behind your "I''m good" mask for others to accept you. Must suck a bit. You''ll live.

quote:So, as Nazrix'' .sig says, "go FAQ yourself."
awww you''re so cute!

I''ve heard of that saying, and I have plenty to say so I say it. You don''t like it - that doesn''t make it any less valid. Did it occur to you that most of those posts are in response to people like you who couldn''t leave well enough alone?

Mind to elaborate on "couldn''t leave well enough alone?" If you''re going to make an attempt to make me look like the problem, at least make it have some sense in it.

quote:Pathetic.

LOL P-a-t-h-e-t-i-c …

Has anyone thought of umm...

bool dead/ alive?

It seems essential to a charecters appearance in your game world, don''t you think?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
Has anyone thought of umm...
bool dead/ alive?
It seems essential to a charecters appearance in your game world, don''t you think?

actually, im using a byte for that one...
0=alive
1=dead
2=rotting
3=bones
4=dust

after that the character just disappears... and the reason for the different levels of "completely destroyed-ness" is for the complexity of resurrecting them (as well as allowing me to make sprites of mangled bodies )

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement