Got cool character structures?

Started by
17 comments, last by Therian 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''ve decided to post this interesting character structure: struct character { char *name; uint age; uchar gender; bool virgin; } Ok, not exactly rocket science, but hey...what''s life without a bit of comedy. There is sense to this however. How about everybody post your character structure whether it''s enemies, monsters, or players. Think about it - your character variables say a lot about your game. Are your characters just x\y positions and health points??? If you think you have something really original, post it... it could be quite interesting to see some well thought out bytes. For example how about characters with some weird personality vector which changes gradually (rotates) to act realisticly. That way you could even add a kind of kinetic energy to the character''s mood...
Caffeine - A Game Programmer's best friend, your Keyboard's worst enemy.
Advertisement
stuct character
{
char *name;
uint age;
wisdom,
intelligence,
strength,
dexterity,
luck,
mood,
charisma,
adrenaline,
cockiness,
intuition,
race;
}
Why is this under Game Programming?

Besides, "character structures" only really matter in RPGs. In most other genres we just need a bunch of simple stats (health/energy, flags for what you''ve collected/learned and skills). In some genres (eg Puzzle games), the only important piece of character info is the player''s name and score.
But that''s my whole point. Think about it this way: One game may have enemies that run up to you and try to kill you like Diablo while another might have enemies who can jump, slide, climb and swim. The whole point is that if your characters only have standard variables, there''s an 80% chance that your game is just a standard RPG, FPS, Tactics etc. It''s not necesarily a bad game just normal. The character structures are so important because it is the interactive part to most games. Your enviroments are the second, less significant part. MMmm.. maybe should have put this in Design, but it''s programmers who work with these things.

To Spinal Confusion:
adrenaline
cockiness
intuition
mood
...mmm interesting. I''d be interested to know how these used in your game (if they are), unless of course you don''t want to - I don''t expect anyone to give away trade secrets.

Caffeine - A Game Programmer''s best friend, your Keyboard''s worst enemy.
Caffeine - A Game Programmer's best friend, your Keyboard's worst enemy.
quote:
struct character
{
char *name;
uint age;
uchar gender;
bool virgin;
}

hmm, ''bool virgin'' ??

What kind of RPG is this ? I suppose that bool is set to false on startup, and the player can do something against this during the game

spawn.Class=(hooker)
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
LOL
I''m sorry, but I think it''s a bad idea use to many variables. Do I really care if the big, bad-ass mutant who''s trying to blow my head off with a shotgun, is a virgin? No, I don''t. I agree with Oluseyi, this kind of stuff belongs in RPGs.
-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
quote:Original post by Therian
To Spinal Confusion:
adrenaline
cockiness
intuition
mood
...mmm interesting. I''d be interested to know how these used in your game (if they are), unless of course you don''t want to - I don''t expect anyone to give away trade secrets.

I never made the game, but I can tell you how they would be used.

adrenaline - just like human adrenaline; increases strength and decreases accuracy for a brief period of time

mood - used mainly for character facial models; holds 4 different values (in segments of 4 bits each): happiness, boredom, drive (to do something), determination

intuition - how quickly a player learns new things

cockiness - also used for facial models; cockiness tells how well a player can BS his or her way out of situations; how convincing the player is when bargaining with shop keepers and NPCs

What do you think?
>cockiness - also used for facial models; cockiness tells how
>well a player can BS his or her way out of situations; how
>convincing the player is when bargaining with shop keepers and
>NPCs

Uhmm...then what''s the point of your charisma variable? o.O

-Hyatus
"da da da"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement