• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alternate-E

Thoughts on Nasm, etc..

15 posts in this topic

Hey GDers,  I was studying some Nasm today and had something of an epiphany.  It might be odd, but I realized something about assembly programming that may or may not have dawned on others before me.  In order to avoid ranting I have noted several specific things based on Netwide Assembler that I beleive makes writing code in assembly  - and call me crazy - easier (for better or worse) than writing in some high-level languages:

IMO

Nasm makes the math easier

- I so very hated math in highschool because like a lot of people it just wouldn't stick.  Folks have been back and forth about whether or not this plays any significant role in a programmers ability.  From my perspective, no it doesn't really matter so long as you do recognize a lot of the mathematical formulas as they were taught from the get-go.  Chances are you'll have to morph the way you think for the language itself anyway(cough cough X,Y coordinates).  In turn,  Assembly, being so damn manual, can turn a complicated string into something much more systematic and therefore making it so that you're under the hood using ADD and SUB (INC, DEC etc) instead of "If" statements laced with multiplication and division.  Given,  that's a double edged sword isn't it? Which brings me to my next point.

It's like, the computer is the tree..and I'm the hugger.  And then you have these chainsaws..

- You can jerry-rig whatever the hell you need to with some well written assembly.  The way I see it is, there's an apple in the tree(a computer problem),  you can either (solve the problem by..) start building a fine staircase with assembly,  straight up climb the tree yourself with C or chop the tree down with say..Perl and walk off with all the fruit with a bag made of leaves, screw what the tree looks like now, right?  I like being close to the hardware but that's not the point.  In fact I've always just wanted to use that analogy so don't mind me.  I'll just move on and say..

The syntax doesn't bother me

- you will run the other way when you see perfectly good grammar being slaughtered (in a good way) for the sake of making syntax "easier".  If you're anything like me you will see the "elsif" (I love perl) statement and go 0_o ugh.  I'm not even going to bring up graphics libraries, those mouths are just filthy.  Mov, dd, db and even EAX makes more sense to me because it looks like it's supposed to be abbreviated.  But I love high-level langauges nonetheless.  It's like pseudo-code on top of code on top of comments.

Assembly literally makes you feel the structure

- Which is what I think the real allure is.  It's the fact that you can reallly get into the nooks and get stuff done.  Also, I want a share a little tip to folks learning x86 assembly because it helped me out, if any pros out there want to share/correct anything in turn that's be badass but here I go.

operation    destination    source

is some common format seen in the assembler.  The best way I memorize and apply this is by thinking:

The mission the target and rendevous (except you rendevous before taking out the target, hitmen can be team players too.)

or if you're not weird just zone in on the destination being the middle most accessible part of a road of some sort and by adding labels and directives etc etc you're adding lanes to it. But have these lanes be specific similar to how there are bike lanes and HOV lanes and hell, trolley car lanes in real life.  Just my two cents.  What are your thoughts on assembly in 2013?

Edited by iGoogleThis

Assembly is a thing of the past, it *can* be usefull to write a couples of inline assembly code for beginers, like me once, who didn't know how to make some simple operations in c++ code, like playing with bitfield, simple stuff like that, however i doubt you'll get very far nowaday writing only in assembly. Try making a 10000 lines of code project in asm and tell me how it goes tongue.png . One of the only thing i could think of using it for is for bit rolling (ror, rol), emulators, or to make floppy boot disk, which are almost non-existant in 2013. If you want to decrease your productivity by 10x (compare to c++) or 100x (compare to c# and delphi), then go for it... And i don't see how it make the math easier either... Have you tried multiplication, division, signed integer, floating point??? Probably not...

Edited by jbadams
Restored post contents from history.

I think assembly / a compilers class / an OS class are all majorly useful to understand.

Knowing what a compiler or OS is doing takes a lot of the mystery out of what the computer is doing.  When you realize that while/for can be written with if/goto and functions are just gotos that clean up code, you'll realize the answers to a lot of beginner questions like "when do i use while(){} vs do{}while vs for?".

Also compilers optimize. I've been in a lot of situations where writing assembly isn't important but reading it is. And understanding what the compiler probably did is equally important. The "release" build of most code looks nothing like the output of a debug build. When you get a crash, chances are it doesn't line up well with the code the debugger claims crashed. Even when it does line up, logic and values are still often folded out by the compiler. Being able to understand the assembly to what the code is actually doing is the only way to discover some types of bugs efficiently.

Have you tried multiplication, division, signed integer, floating point??? Probably not...

Of course I have, that's the law of the land. 

I want to note, assembly is not my primary language but I am learning it because I write code in C primarily.  As KulSeran said:

Being able to understand the assembly to what the code is actually doing is the only way to discover some types of bugs efficiently.

JTippets,  I didn't want to beleive it!  But coming from someone who's been there I can definitely see what you're saying.  Still though for the sake of grunt development (kernel, drivers etc) what's the best way to really go about applying it?  I find that the documentation is alright but the application is verry limited.  I suppose this goes back to what you said about it just not really having a place anymore.

Assembly is a thing of the past

Not if you've spent any time doing some serious debugging (especially on the PS3).

Inline assembly maybe, but if you're trying to track down a bug that only occurs in your retail/release build it's pretty much essential. 

Edited by Orangeatang

I can definitely understand your enamourment with assembly language smile.png

I cut my teeth as a budding software developer on 68k and z80 assembler for my calculator.

Almost no OS in the way, and full control. C compilers felt ridiculously bloated. 

Professionally though, over the last 10 years, I've produced a single line of assembly that was included in production code. (that single line of asm was in 200+ million phones worldwide though, so not bad smile.png )

As everyone else says, with compilers getting better, and hardware more complex, hand assembler optimization is getting less and less important.

And knowledge is never a bad thing!

For anyone who wants to write performance critical code, its very useful to know your asm enough to at least inspect your compilers effort.

I'd never want to be without my OOP when the problems get a bit more complex...

Edited by Olof Hedman

Im not saying that it's dead, in fact i know a good deal of assembly language, but i wouldn't say it's better than higher level language. Still, it's fun to play with and you can learn a great deal of how the processor really work.

Edited by jbadams
Restored post contents from history.

When I was a kid, the progression to learning programming was BASIC first, then assembly. You couldn't get a C compiler for free back then, and DOS came with 'debug' letting you write little assembly programs.  Later I moved onto C(++), Java, etc, and never went back to it.  But I do understand your fascination with it, and at times, something I think about getting in to x64 assembly programming.  Maybe later.

Don't let others give you grief about it though.  I'm a hardcore C programmer, and even program C in an OO style (function pointers in structs for polymorphism, etc), and some people give me trouble for it.  I understand C++ is there, but for my own personal projects (not at work: at work I use whatever the rest of the team is using because its not my project) I choose C.

Keep doing what you're doing.  We need more assembly programmers, because somebody needs to fix the compiler when it spits out broken code, or write those high performance hardware drivers!  

You can write in that style in a higher level language if you like:

Are those prototypes up there above the main function or just globals?  Either way I can't wait to get good enough at it to throw a few for-fun versions of that down from off the top!

1. Write first for correctness, properly weighing performance against maintainability, and choosing good algorithms.

Ravyne your entire post was super insightful!  That number 1 is definitely the key, figure if you can do that part right then optimazation should become less and less of an issue.  For me I'd rehash the thing till it's blazing fast and after awhile I suppose if you're good enough at that you can almost fit all of those steps into just number one there from the start.  My C code can be unruly at times because I like to avoid using too many pointers but that's a whole different topic.  Suppose to goes back to the performance thing being essential.

I'm a hardcore C programmer, and even program C in an OO style (function pointers in structs for polymorphism, etc), and some people give me trouble for it.  I understand C++ is there, but for my own personal projects (not at work: at work I use whatever the rest of the team is using because its not my project) I choose C.

DracoLacorente, Was that style something you eased into on your own?  I'm self-taught so it's a lot of give and take when it comes to style.  I actually started off learning Python somewhat formally but it was so whitespace-unfriendly.  The freedoms C gives you while staying kind of centered is why I like it.  That and of course the inline assembly capability that people frown upon.  I don't want to be that guy but it honestly just rings my bells.

I've seen it answered a few times but how does inline assembly fare as far as portabliity goes?  I don't do it at all yet but would that make it slightly more portable or the opposite? 

Edited by iGoogleThis

•  

I'm a hardcore C programmer, and even program C in an OO style (function pointers in structs for polymorphism, etc), and some people give me trouble for it. I understand C++ is there, but for my own personal projects (not at work: at work I use whatever the rest of the team is using because its not my project) I choose C.

DracoLacorente, Was that style something you eased into on your own? I'm self-taught so it's a lot of give and take when it comes to style. I actually started off learning Python somewhat formally but it was so whitespace-unfriendly. The freedoms C gives you while staying kind of centered is why I like it. That and of course the inline assembly capability that people frown upon. I don't want to be that guy but it honestly just rings my bells.

I had zero style throughout high school and most of college.  Even after college my style was somewhat poor.  It was after working at my current company for about a year or so that some of the style and design of the code at work began to rub off on me an influence my code at home.  There's a few key experiences that have shook my style quite dramatically:

• I took a Java class at school.  The ideas of objects and polymorphism were cool, but I saw a lot of stuff that seemed over-OO-ified.  (the Integer class, for example).  But the idea of interfaces and abstraction really influenced my style.

• At work, one of the projects I help maintain is a large C codebase.  It has full manual memory management.  It sucks.  There is one part of that code base (a data tree structure) that uses reference counting.  I've adopted reference counting in my home-coded C projects.
  •  

This is typical of my style at home:

typedef struct inner_s {
   char* str;
   void (*do_something)(struct inner_s* inner);
} inner_t;

typedef struct {
   inner_t* i1;
   inner_t* i2;
} outer_t;

void free_outer(outer_t* x)
{
   z_free(x->i1);
   z_free(x->i2);
}

void foo(outer_t* x)
{
	x->i1->do_something(x->i1);
	x->i2->do_something(x->i2);  
}

void free_inner(inner_t* x)
{
  z_free(x->str);
}

void inner_do_something_interesting(inner_t* in)
{
  printf(" oh my god %s!\n", in->str); 
}

void inner_do_something_boring(inner_t* in)
{
  printf("I'm bored\n");
}

inner_t* inner_mk(char* string)
{
   inner_t* inner = z_alloc(sizeof(*inner), free_inner);
   inner->str = z_addref(string);
   inner->do_something = inner_do_something_interesting;
   return inner;
}

outer_t* a = z_alloc( sizeof (*outer), free_outer);

char* reused_string = z_strdup("hello");

a->i1 = inner_mk(reused_string);
a->i2 = inner_mk(reused_string);

//sometimes you want to override a method
a->i2->do_something = inner_do_something_boring;

z_free(reused_string); //don't need this anymore, we inner_mk addref'ed it

foo(a); //this calls the 'do_something' method on both i1 and i2

//sometime later, something else copies a reference to a:

a_copy = z_addref(a);
//
and then maybe the original a goes out of scope:

z_free(a);

//then eventually the copy goes out of scope:

z_free(a_copy);  

//now z->i1, z->i2 are freed, recursively freeing the last reference to 'reused_string' which is now eventually destroyed

C++ programmers tell me the above is crazy and I should have made C++ classes for inner and outer, and then used boost smart pointers.  At work I program how I'm supposed to program to get things done.  At home, I program for fun, whatever way I want.

C++ programmers tell me the above is crazy and I should have made C++ classes for inner and outer, and then used boost smart pointers.  At work I program how I'm supposed to program to get things done.  At home, I program for fun, whatever way I want.

If you were programming in C++, I might say they have a point. But if you're programming in C then they're clearly crazy for such suggestions smile.png

But to add to the discussion, I think some of the people have made excellent points. I won't repeat everything. I've primarily found knowing assembly useful when debugging release applications (where I haven't been able to reproduce bugs in debug builds), which has been really helpful to me. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does... well, somebody has to get their hands dirty. Edited by Cornstalks