Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debug problems under Fullscreen mode

This topic is 5899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been having debug problems while running fullscreen mode using directx. Whenever I make an error in coding (like making at typo or forgetting to add a line for something that creates access violations etc),I decide to run debug mode so I can see the strings I outputted in the debug string window so I know what I did wrong. The error I make often causes the program to simply close. Anyway, to the point, during debug (usign F5 for Go), I hear a message box sound ( the sound you get when get a message box, like an illegal operation error message box), and everything freezes except for the mouse. I cant alt tab, I cant ctrl alt del, I cant alt f4, etc. The only solution it seems is to press the reset button on my computer. This problem has been plaguing me for months, and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knew how to fix this issue with the debugger.

Three solutions:

1: Run in windowed mode while debugging. This won''t help much with fullscren-only bugs though.

2: Get a second monitor (and a second videocard, if you don''t have a dual-head card already).

3: Run a remote debugging session. For this to work you must have a second computer.

Hmm, well I have another computer, but it doesnt work and it''s slow as heck.
I only have this monitor here, and my Video card is a GeForce2Ultra, which to my knowledge isn''t dual head.

I would have been doing debugging in windowed mode, but I cant seem to retreive a back buffer when I try to

Hmm, nevermind about the backbufer thing. I have made a function that does all of the preparation for d3d device, and I would pass it a boolean variable asking whether to use windowed mode or not.
Before when I tried to use windowed, I would get an error, but now I havent changed a single thing in that function and it works.. hmm.

debugging in windowed mode really helps alot .

but try to build a structured exception handling system.
that will help you in fullscreen.

i debug in fullscreen sometimes.
what i did was when there is an exception,
i will catch, print error to a file and then make the
engine minimize and discard all surfaces and vertexes..

then i can see the debugger ..

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

use in-game console when u _have_to_ be in fullscreen mode, when not use windowed mode, that''s all.
ah. catch access violation errors (try; catch) close fullscreen mode & return, so debugger will take his work.