Debug problems under Fullscreen mode

Started by
4 comments, last by RelisH 22 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been having debug problems while running fullscreen mode using directx. Whenever I make an error in coding (like making at typo or forgetting to add a line for something that creates access violations etc),I decide to run debug mode so I can see the strings I outputted in the debug string window so I know what I did wrong. The error I make often causes the program to simply close. Anyway, to the point, during debug (usign F5 for Go), I hear a message box sound ( the sound you get when get a message box, like an illegal operation error message box), and everything freezes except for the mouse. I cant alt tab, I cant ctrl alt del, I cant alt f4, etc. The only solution it seems is to press the reset button on my computer. This problem has been plaguing me for months, and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knew how to fix this issue with the debugger.
-RelisH!
Advertisement
Three solutions:

1: Run in windowed mode while debugging. This won''t help much with fullscren-only bugs though.

2: Get a second monitor (and a second videocard, if you don''t have a dual-head card already).

3: Run a remote debugging session. For this to work you must have a second computer.
Hmm, well I have another computer, but it doesnt work and it''s slow as heck.
I only have this monitor here, and my Video card is a GeForce2Ultra, which to my knowledge isn''t dual head.

I would have been doing debugging in windowed mode, but I cant seem to retreive a back buffer when I try to
-RelisH!
Hmm, nevermind about the backbufer thing. I have made a function that does all of the preparation for d3d device, and I would pass it a boolean variable asking whether to use windowed mode or not.
Before when I tried to use windowed, I would get an error, but now I havent changed a single thing in that function and it works.. hmm.
-RelisH!
debugging in windowed mode really helps alot .

but try to build a structured exception handling system.
that will help you in fullscreen.

i debug in fullscreen sometimes.
what i did was when there is an exception,
i will catch, print error to a file and then make the
engine minimize and discard all surfaces and vertexes..

then i can see the debugger ..

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
use in-game console when u _have_to_ be in fullscreen mode, when not use windowed mode, that''s all.
ah. catch access violation errors (try; catch) close fullscreen mode & return, so debugger will take his work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement