• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MobinS

Steps on How to Become a game Developer

35 posts in this topic

[SIZE=6][Update 1][/SIZE]

Part 3 just released. watch it. this part is about the first steps, and the video game elements. and I also added a short BIO of myself in the YouTube video's descriptions.
don't forget to Like and Subscribe.

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPwWVO7o7o[/url]

logoqvd.png

Steps on how to become a game developer

This is the new series of YouTube videos that started with a single question: “How can I become a Game Developer?”

These series starts with a simple routine in the early parts. In these parts we mention how these tutorials are created and what are they based on.  In these parts we also show you the first steps on the way of becoming a game developer. These tutorials will teach you about video game development team, different roles in the team, how video games do created, or even some very basic knowledge like the definition of the game.

After these basics we go on and actually work with game engines, we’ll teach you the basics of programming and creating visual arts, and then from these levels we’ll transcend into the higher and professional ones. You will understand the level designing, programming in C#, C++, Python, Java & etc., working with 3D softwares like 3Dsmax and Maya, and the skills in different part of creating a video game.

In my own opinion (and maybe so many others’ too) creating and developing a video game is the hardest skill between the computer skills.  These skills should be learnt throw a class, or with a mentor. What is better than a free online class of learning video game developing? These videos (Our classes) are created in a classified order, and also some fun theme had been added to these, so you can have a fun and useful time while you’re learning.

Plus the technical tutorials we will also have some lessons about how to create and optimize your story for the video games, how to create characters, how to draw the levels in the best way on the paper, and so many other game designing tutorials too. So we can call it a step by step Game Developing Tutorial.

So this is going to be a series of videos, with hours and hours of videos that is going to go on YouTube. We will try our best to put a new video in every week. So please follow us throw YouTube by SUBSCRIBING us on “MobinS VGV” Channels.  All of the videos of “Steps on How to Become a Game Developer” ‘s series going to come up on MobinS VGV(Video Games’ Videos) , so please subscribe us from channels so you can follow these videos. Here is Link to the channel:

http://youtube.com/MobinSVGV

and please also like us on Facebook , cause as you know these videos are created without any budget , so the only thing that can make us happy is ONLY your support , so PLEASE Like us on Facebook , and Subscribe us on YouTube. Here is link to the Facebook page:

http://facebook.com/StepsOnHowToBecomeAGameDeveloper

And this is video #1 that is the introduction. Sorry for the low video and audio quality, as the videos went on, we tried to develop and upgrade their features. This is the Link to the first two parts of series:

(Introduction)

http://youtu.be/sv8UjGXEKV8

(Basics)

http://youtu.be/9SwanzGZFmc

So follow us and be ready for the next videos on the channel. And please if you have any suggestion or criticism that you want to tell us, please contact us though YouTube or Facebook and we will answer you as soon as we can do. So please support us by clicking the Subscribe and Like buttons, and please send this text to your friend that you think these videos going to be useful for them. Hope you have a good day/night/day/night, Bye!

Mobin Shakeri

mobinswide.png

Edited by MobinS

thank you very much. I've found it useful , and yes I know these problems , and well I try my best , hope I get succesful in this way. thanks you , I'll try better on the words and explanations , I realized it before too. about the knowledge yes, but it is not the time , from video number 7 it is going to be more pro as we are going to work with an actual game engine. about the music you are right , hope it doesn't make any trouble , I'm working on a music for my videos. thank you!

You don't seem like a real game developer.  Do you have any credentials to share with your viewers, such as an education and industry experience?  I'm sure they'd like to know why you're someone they should listen to.

you are right.of course I had experiences. I work as game designer , but unfortunately non of our projects had been published, because of so many think , specially financial problem and lack of sponsor. you are right , I actually don't have any published work to show you? but I assure you that I had experiences. we are working on a indie game right now, I think we will have our trailer in 6 months , if you want to wait you would see

I really didn't get annoyed with the things that you said , you criticized me and that was good right, but that person who gave me negative mark above really made me sad.
I had made these video , put about half a year on those just for you , even if it is the worst you don't have right to do these actions. it's really impolite and inhumane. I am really sorry for you.

it really hurt me, even the worst work deserves a "Good luck" , not negative mark... I'm really sorry for these actions. after all of these times that I had been working on these series, I see what I deserve...

I really didn't get annoyed with the things that you said , you criticized me and that was good right, but that person who gave me negative mark above really made me sad.
I had made these video , put about half a year on those just for you , even if it is the worst you don't have right to do these actions. it's really impolite and inhumane. I am really sorry for you.

it really hurt me, even the worst work deserves a "Good luck" , not negative mark... I'm really sorry for these actions. after all of these times that I had been working on these series, I see what I deserve...

I'm not really sure what you are talking about?

I think you aren't ready to teach anyone about game development. I read your comment on youtube saying "I actually don't have any published work to show you but I assure? you that I had experiences." and I thought to myself: What? This guy has no published games and he is trying to accomplish VERY difficult task of teaching you everything about game development? This is got to be a joke. So I watched your video and the video quality is not very good. I'm not taking about resolution, and lighting or those things, but about how you speak. Some moments are awkward, and others are cheesy. Also sound quality is very low. It is really hard to understand what you are saying.

Almost every fact you gave in this video can be questioned, for example, in the video at 07:40 you said: "Is Life a Game too? no, because it doesn't have any limitation." 

Really? I think it has a lot of limitations. I cant , I can't shoot laser beams out of my eyes. I can't go faster than a speed of light (as far as we know it) I can't do many things in real life because it HAS limitations. 

I'm probably a horrible person for saying all this stuff. But I'm a natural born critic, and nothing passes through my eyes without getting noticed. So sorry if I really insulted you.

no it is not insulting.
I exactly mentioned why we don't consider those things as a limitation. well by your logic we can never remove the limitation.

see, imagine if you have full access to the laser beam in your eyes, the example that you yourself gave. I give it to you , but are you now a limitless man?  no , cause for example you can not shoot green laser. imagine I give you the green laser ability , now are you limitless? still no , cause for example you don't have something else.
as you see it is never going to end, so we will return to our definition , we should put a rule to control this definition. what is a free man in our definition.  cause we have a LIMIT, and of course we should have the opposite of it too , I mean a place with no limit, let us call it the FREEDOM. so what is this freedom? opposite of that LIMIT?
we have a definition in politics , that  says converting from dictatorship into democratic gov is to move from smaller cage to bigger one.

in here , in this definition we can use the fact above.

see the biggest cage that we can imagine , (in real world , not from paranormal or fantasy worlds) is life. so we consider it as the FREE PLACE or TIME.

now when we put borders and limitation on it , now we are limited.

I explained these things exactly after I said that sentence, the problem is you hear, you start criticizing in your mind , and that action take your attention and you can not resume the listening.
If there is any more dilemma , just replay me. I would be glad to explain anything that been hard to understand.

Please wait. this is not just the only part of these series.

From part 6 we are going to start working on game engine, start programming and lots of other stuffs. be patient please.

this website's member are just start thinking and acting against me. I'm really sorry for you.

I advertised this videos in so many websites and I get so many good , positive and negative feedback from polite people.

The Only thing that I get from here is "NEGATIVE" , even when I'm explaining the Most important thing in games, limitation.

If you haven't read I don't care, but if you want to act like losers and just put negatives and dislikes on my posts , you are on your own.

it is very rude.I can see it. everyone is acting some kind of weird.

and I know I get some dislikes from this post too. cause who cares , "that guy is posting , boo that shit, he is stupid!!!"

I'm sorry for this website and it's members.

No I didn't mean every body sir. manners bring manners.

No I didn't mean you. There are so many great users in this website, so many of my friend are active user in here.

so many great critised, by JackBid , Serapth and others were really helpful. but is others action right?

Ok dislike this post, I don't actually care. laugh at these videos. I believe in these videos, I put time and money on these videos, I studied a lot and I have lots of thing to say and carry on. I will continue these videos and nothing can even disappoint me even a little.

but I see some action that are even inhumane. when some one worked out hard on something , don't disappoint her/him.don't try to tease him.

and I know because the young age, because I don't have published work(I would have If I wanted, I had so many projects, in teams and solo), and because I'm not native and maybe I don't speak English as well as a native, yeah even I say 2=2 I get dislike and BOOOS .. :|

this is really sick I'm really sorry for some guys here. you didn't understand how to respect.

and dislike as many times as you like , gather your friends and dislike with each other. Ok you are the cool one without any mistake, and I am Just piece of junk.

I don't care. I will carry on. I will respect the one who are polite and respectful, I will use the criticizes, I will thank every one who give me feed back , and I will try to get better.

get better and continue.

yes and I do appreciate them. but giving dislikes is something very rude. ..

I do accept and appreciate all the critics. and I am not complaining about the criticism.

these are two completely different thing from each other. and yes I do accept and carry on with every single feedback that I get, but these are not feedback (the negatives, and The teasing, some guys messaged me and said do you take these videos seriously?). I'm sure you yourself don't count them as criticizes .

and yes, I really don't have anything to show you as prototype or anything you say, but I am telling you that I am experienced and I worked in different teams and groups. but unfortunately I didn't have any published work cause non of our works , cause we couldn't finish them up. indie game development need money, and when you are not in USA you can not publish games that much easy. I can't do anything for it, so stop teasing, If you don't believe me , then no problem.

I think you believe in me too. there is so much difference between criticizing and teasing.

and it is not on purpose, but they had been put in a situation, and start giving negative feedback whatever I say.

so if you think you see that I am type of people who love criticizes cause they really help us to grow, but the answer of teasing , and these dislikes are nothing less than the replay that I just gave.

and I'm not talking about you sirs. but about those actions

this website's member are just start thinking and acting against me. I'm really sorry for you.

I advertised this videos in so many websites and I get so many good , positive and negative feedback from polite people.

The Only thing that I get from here is "NEGATIVE" , even when I'm explaining the Most important thing in games, limitation.

If you haven't read I don't care, but if you want to act like losers and just put negatives and dislikes on my posts , you are on your own.

it is very rude.I can see it. everyone is acting some kind of weird.

and I know I get some dislikes from this post too. cause who cares , "that guy is posting , boo that shit, he is stupid!!!"

I'm sorry for this website and it's members.

I don't think anyone has purposely been rude or negative, just tried to point out how you can improve your videos and teaching ability.

well I'm not getting anything from rude actions and dislikes. All I'm saying is that we worked hard on these series and we series at least like , Good lucks and Thanks.

then if there is any feedback I would be glad to hear. this is not the way. just think for a moment. put yourself in my place.

I just explained a very important and famous thing about limit and freedom , and I get Dislikes. anyone could get offended by this. just put yourself in my situation and see.
If there is anything wrong just tell me. they just get some bad views over me. and start teasing whatever I say.

My impressions are that the videos are too long, or alternately that the actual content is too sparse.  I'd suggest getting to the point earlier and being more efficient, since presumably the videos are intended to convey information and teach and not necessarily to entertain.

I did like the humor, I would not take that out.

Also, the first two videos seem like mostly a waste of time... since they cover little ground as far as teaching the actual topic (i.e. how to become a game developer).  I'd suggest skipping going over what games are, and just assume that people know what a game is and what constitutes a game.  I'd start off with describing what the breakdown is of skills, jobs, and responsibilities within a project or dev team/studio.  Then once you have that breakdown, you can proceed to what specific knowledge and education you need for each.

I also agree with comments above that you need to start off with some explanation of your qualifications and relevant experience.  Presuming that you have decent qualifications, this will instill confidence in the people watching the videos, and preempt the inevitable arguments and criticisms about your qualification and whether you should even be making the videos.

Edited by 0r0d

Thanks.
Yeah I will put my Bio in the next video. it is ready, and I will put it in Wednesday.

Yeah, in the next video we are going to talk about first two steps and the element of video games.

and after that we are going trough game dev team , what are the professions in there are what each do.

then we will have a FAQ part of video.

then we are going to cover some knowledge about game engines.

now the BASIC parts get over (6 parts) and From part 7 we are going trough engine. let me not say which game engine.

after that we are going trough 2 more game engines and cover the coding and art designing in each.

in the middle of these video I teach the content of video games , assets, terrain, textures, models, different techniques.

after that we are going to cover the game creation outside of game engines , like text-based games, and other things like tic-tac-toe in C++ , C# , Python & etc.

then we are going to mention the game designing techniques, how to create a character, how to right story. I my self am writer too, I past so many writing classes when I were kid, so I know that there are so many empty holes in game stories today , so we are going to cover them academic.

then after that we are going to create our own game engine using C++(not sure, but it seems the best choice).

I've been a programmer for 6 years, and game designer for than that time. maybe 9 years, and I know my way. If I didn't had any published work it doesn't mean I don't know anything, that's because of millions of reasons and one of them is money.

that was a quick and overall overview over these series. it may change, and other contents may be added.

"From part 6 we are going to start working on game engine, start programming"

Wait... you're going to start doing actual things in part six? As soon as all that? Are you sure that's not rushing things?

"imagine if you have full access to the laser beam in your eyes,"

You should probably talk to someone about those. Someone... more... erm... Professional.