Sign in to follow this  

Steps on How to Become a game Developer

This topic is 1754 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

yes, in part 7. that doesn't mean learning is ended, we will still have game designing parts too. no I think that good, most of the feedbacks are about "when we are going to learn how to become a game developer?" and they are right. I think this 6 parts , that are about 45 mins are enough for a quick start.

and please specify the problem that you have with that sentence , maybe I can explain to you in other ways.

thnx for feedback.

Morning all!

JackB

I don't think anyone has purposely been rude or negative, just tried to point out how you can improve your videos and teaching ability.

Maybe not deliberately rude or negative, but some if it came across that way I think. It is difficult in writing to always play the ball and not the man.

As I said above, try to keep criticism to something specific: this content is incorrect; that lighting is poor; too long; too short.

If you hate it utterly, easy, don't engage.

now the BASIC parts get over (6 parts) and From part 7 we are going trough engine. let me not say which game engine.

If each video is about 15 minutes long, then I'd say spending 6 videos talking about "basics" is much, much too long.  I guarantee you that you will lose your audience quickly.

I'd say that you can cover all the basics in 1 - 2 videos.  Any more than that without getting into specifics will be unwatchable.  

Even if you will be concentrating on one area of development, like programming, there is way too much ground to cover if you're moving at such a pace.  Especially if you want to get into actually writing a game engine... then you should be getting into stuff that involves actual code by the 3rd or 4th video.

sorry, but all of the basic video already been captured and edited. and the others are about 10 min.

I tried my best to not make it boring. thanks for feedback

sorry, but all of the basic video already been captured and edited. and the others are about 10 min.

I tried my best to not make it boring. thanks for feedback

I understand, but this might be a good point to seriously reconsider whether you want to continue on the same path, or start over differently.  I can almost guarantee you that no one will site through 60 minutes of "basic" stuff before they get to what they're actually there for.  Also, if you plan to cover so much stuff, including making an actual game engine, then you're talking a lot of videos.  Redoing the early ones wouldnt be that hard because you wouldnt be remaking 6 videos... you'd be making maybe 2.

I'll leave it at that, but maybe others can back me up here.

it is less, it is about 40,45 min.

and remember that this series is for the begginers, so it is essential. and you think that was easy. these 6 videos took about 6 months of work. don't judge it quickly.

it is less, it is about 40,45 min.

and remember that this series is for the begginers, so it is essential. and you think that was easy. these 6 videos took about 6 months of work. don't judge it quickly.

I'm sure a lot of work went into the videos.  But, you need to know when things are working and when they're not.  If you think the videos work fine, then please continue with what you'e doing.  But, if you decide they're not working, then it's better to start again than to keep making more videos.  Even if you make the new videos differently, you still have the current ones that the viewers will have to watch.  And if those videos turn off people, then all the work you're doing is a waste of time.

I'd say take a look at these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0B6Gbsu3N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLDgxVMcHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CekH2grE0

or some from this person:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4RqHtEAAds&list=PLD70E7720180B90FC&index=1

to always play the ball and not the man.

That expression, when not on the basketball court or soccer pitch, is easily misconstrued. :)

Time investment doesn't give you a buy on the quality (or lack thereof) of your result. You dropped 6 months on something and THEN asked for feedback, with your guard prepared for any negative criticism saying "but I spent so much time on it."

That doesn't work. I'm a horrible cook. If I spent all day in the kitchen making a full-course meal from scratch, and it still tasted awful, people aren't going to want to eat it. (Or if they do, it's painful and solely out of pity).

This doesn't sound like you're in search of feedback, but rather back-patting. People have been honest with you: the audience you're most likely to reach (active forum members on a game development site) are telling you that your videos aren't properly addressing the actual needs of beginners (people that want to start making their game idea). I think you're underestimating the knowledge already obtained by your average "beginner" game developer: anyone searching the internet for resources has found plenty of them.

The majority of your received responses here are of the "woah, slow down, change course before you spend any more time on the current heading" variety, and I'm willing to bet the downvotes are expressing the desire to keep quality information out there for people.

Closed. For Beginners isn't the place to post your tutorials or video guides (it's for beginners to ask questions), nor is it your blog.

Edited by Josh Petrie

This topic is 1754 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.