Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nsmadsen

First Day of School

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

While not technically a video game project :P, I wanted to share this short film (1:59 long) that I recently did. Feedback and discussion (like always) is more than welcomed! Hope everyone's doing well! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V_mvdBBRmd8

Thanks, 

Nate

I thought it was cute. How long did it take you to complete? Also I am very VERY new, so forgive this question, but was this done in flash?

Hey Nate,

Nice work, the style you chose really fits the art! smile.png

As a really small point of critique, I think you went just a tiny bit over the top with the music in the rather whimsical/scary/chaotic part starting at about 0:42 and lasting until 01:15 - it feels out of balance with the sound design and altogether a bit "too much" to me. Might just be my personal taste, though!

Good to know it's OK to share non-game music on here by the way, I'm producing music for a similar animated short soon, and I'd love to get some feedback on that as soon as it's ready.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Moritz

Thanks guys!

HellsSavior - Glad you liked it! I don't know what the animation was created in. I just handled the music. I didn't have very long to work on this so this actual project took about 4-6 hours split up over two days (due to other committments, etc).

Moritz - Yeah, I can see what you mean. This was one of those projects where I didn't see any of the other elements (not even the fully finished animation) until the final product. This was a student project where many of the other elements came in after I had already submitted the final mix of the music. I don't think I went as crazy or as whacky as Ire originally wanted based on our discussions. She wanted even more extreme changes in music, etc but I felt that would be too chaotic. In the end, I felt (and the team seem to agree) that a quirkly Danny Elfman-ish score would work better. Perhaps a bit over the top but I feel that creates even more contrast with the normal reality vs. the kid's perception.

Good to know it's OK to share non-game music on here by the way, I'm producing music for a similar animated short soon, and I'd love to get some feedback on that as soon as it's ready.

Sure thing! We can't always be working on only game projects! :P Besides music is music and many of the same principles apply so please feel free to share it! I'd love to check it out!

Edited by nsmadsen