First Day of School

Started by
2 comments, last by nsmadsen 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys,

While not technically a video game project :P, I wanted to share this short film (1:59 long) that I recently did. Feedback and discussion (like always) is more than welcomed! Hope everyone's doing well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V_mvdBBRmd8

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

I thought it was cute. How long did it take you to complete? Also I am very VERY new, so forgive this question, but was this done in flash?

Hey Nate,

Nice work, the style you chose really fits the art! smile.png

As a really small point of critique, I think you went just a tiny bit over the top with the music in the rather whimsical/scary/chaotic part starting at about 0:42 and lasting until 01:15 - it feels out of balance with the sound design and altogether a bit "too much" to me. Might just be my personal taste, though!

Good to know it's OK to share non-game music on here by the way, I'm producing music for a similar animated short soon, and I'd love to get some feedback on that as soon as it's ready.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

Thanks guys!

HellsSavior - Glad you liked it! I don't know what the animation was created in. I just handled the music. I didn't have very long to work on this so this actual project took about 4-6 hours split up over two days (due to other committments, etc).

Moritz - Yeah, I can see what you mean. This was one of those projects where I didn't see any of the other elements (not even the fully finished animation) until the final product. This was a student project where many of the other elements came in after I had already submitted the final mix of the music. I don't think I went as crazy or as whacky as Ire originally wanted based on our discussions. She wanted even more extreme changes in music, etc but I felt that would be too chaotic. In the end, I felt (and the team seem to agree) that a quirkly Danny Elfman-ish score would work better. Perhaps a bit over the top but I feel that creates even more contrast with the normal reality vs. the kid's perception.

Good to know it's OK to share non-game music on here by the way, I'm producing music for a similar animated short soon, and I'd love to get some feedback on that as soon as it's ready.

Sure thing! We can't always be working on only game projects! :P Besides music is music and many of the same principles apply so please feel free to share it! I'd love to check it out!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement