MIDI Sequencing/Mapping

Started by
3 comments, last by Olliepm 11 years ago

In my research into the role of sound designers in the game industry, for a college project, I discovered a job advertisement, which to my surprise, I seemed to be well qualified for. I had intended to continue my higher education for another 1-3 years before considering setting foot in the industry. The job role it's self requires experience in MIDI sequencing, particularly tempo mapping, for interactive music games. I have applied, however I would appreciate any online reading material that would benefit my understanding of the way in which I might be using MIDI sequencing. I have extensive experience in designing electronic music within DAWs, of which 90% has been through MIDI sequencing, and I have automated the project tempo of a song by drawing curves. Is this sufficient experience, or is there more I should know about MIDI where music game development is concerned? Thanks!

Advertisement

That sounds interesting, but I would have the same doubts as you. My experiences in midi sequencing are exactly the same as yours. /-:
There was a couple of times when I had to draw curves on tempo track to sync music and video. That's all...

I might look for software that lets you view and edit MIDI meta data. It's the only other thing I can think may be meant by the job description.

In games like Rock Band, they use MIDI data (controllers, meta-data, lyric tracks, etc) extensively. This MIDI meta-data is used to control things like what buttons to you need to hit to score a correct 'hit', control the crowd reaction, lights shows, etc, as well as to control the muting and un-muting of the various parts based on novice, normal, expert modes.

So you should try to be very fluent in not just vanilla sequencing, etc, but also creatively editing and embedding midi commands.

The tempo mapping's important because of course when you try to lay a new MIDI file on top of an existing performed track (say an old Foreigner song), you need to carefully map the subtle tempo changes they made when they originally recorded the song.

Do a google search of Rock Band Network Authoring, etc and you can probably find out the specific format that they use

My hunch is that other music games (Tap Tap, etc.) take a similar approach.

Brian

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

I'm further down the application now, although I can't be specific due to my NDA. Your information is right on the money, however! Thankssmile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement