Programming RPG's 2nd Edition SOURCE CODE?

Started by
2 comments, last by Khaiy 11 years, 1 month ago

I bought this book years ago and I recently have returned to programming and trying to refresh my roots. The source code provided on the final engine does not work straight off the cd and I remember it had something to do with the author carelessly adding DX8 from his first edition and DX9 function with the new edition. Many years ago a nice GameDev member sent me the fixed source code. Can anyone do this or at least slowly help me solve the compile errors (SO many, maybe a private chat)? I would appreciate it, I have been told to move on but I did pay $60 at the time for this book and I think its fair that I at least have the working source code to what I am reading. I am sure this has affected many other people who have bought this book and I have yet to find a legit fix through google, so maybe this can be the place. Thanks a lot people!

PS: I also wonder if having VC++ Express is not helping the cause.

Advertisement

Having VC++ express has nothing to do with it. You might be getting hundreds of compilation errors, but all of those could be caused by only one actual error. Make sure you are linking to all your required libraries. Also, just start down the error list. If one error doesnt make sense when looking at the source, more than likely that error is not your root problem.

I have been told to move on but I did pay $60 at the time for this book and I think its fair that I at least have the working source code to what I am reading.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't continue, just beware of falling prey to the sunk cost fallacy which it sounds like you might be. Just something to think on. Also, what book are you talking about, exactly? I can't find anything with that exact title on Amazon, but I think you're talking about this one, by Jim Adams. If not, what are you using?

If you insist on using that book then Slig has it right. You should at least post some of the errors you're getting and we can help you narrow down what the causes might be.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I imagine you're talking about the LaMothe book. Regardless, if you have to redo all the code anyhow you'd probably be better off using the book as a conceptual reference and writing your own code, in DX11. It won't be much more work than fixing such badly broken and outdated code, and will (in my opinion) be more valuable to you.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement