Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major slowdown with DirectDraw in windowed mode

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been banging my head against the wall for the past day or so because I cannot figure out why DirectDraw slows down my system so bad that even the mouse lags. I am sure my setup for running DirectDraw in a window is correct. I create a window in normal mode, create a primary surface, then great a backsurface but as a normal surface, set a clipper to the window and then attach it to the primary surface. From there I do a simple 32bit color fill on the surface, then display it. When I do this the system eats it BIG time. Slow mouse, 100% CPU utilization. It''s a simple window in 320x240 at a color depth of 32. My desktop is in 1024x768x32. Here is the function I use to fill the surface*:

void Fill(int nRed, int nGreen, int nBlue )
{
  UINT = nBlue + (nGreen << 8) + (nRed << 16);

RECT test;
  SetRect(&test,0,0,320,240);

// Blit fx

DDBLTFX ddbltfx;
memset(&ddbltfx, 0, sizeof(ddbltfx));
ddbltfx.dwSize = sizeof(ddbltfx);
ddbltfx.dwFillColor = color;

m_pBackSurface->Blt(&test, NULL, NULL, DDBLT_COLORFILL | DDBLT_WAIT, &ddbltfx );
}

*For testing. What is weird is that regardless if I use this function or not, whenever I call the display function the system slows to a halt. The display function is simply:

m_pPrimarySurface->Blt(NULL, m_lpBackSurface, NULL, DDBLT_WAIT, NULL);

Fullscreen doesn''t seem to have any problems though. Anyone got any ideas? I can send the source to someone if the need be. ------------------------------ "I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes." "Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''." -Rem Zirem Software