How to make 2D sprites and animations?

Started by
3 comments, last by Piotr Podsiad?y 11 years ago

I want to know how to make 2D sprites like textures and stuff for games along with how to program, also animations (ex. a sword swing). What software would I use to do this or where could I find people to make textures? I am using C++ with SFML most likely if that matters.

Advertisement

I want to know how to make 2D sprites like textures and stuff for games along with how to program, also animations (ex. a sword swing). What software would I use to do this or where could I find people to make textures? I am using C++ with SFML most likely if that matters.

I use Gimp to make my sprites, I recommend using it's grid lines feature so you can make your spritesheets more effectively. There are so many programming tutorials on the internet it's insane, I would check the forums here for some. You have to be carefull with the artwork you get off the internet. Make sure it's not copyrighted or someone else's property, you can always ask them permission I believe. You can search for royalty free resources on google.

I haven't failed 1,000 times! I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work!

You can search for royalty free resources on google.

Yeah, good luck finding enough off free stuff, so game wouldn't look as stolen product.

I have hard time doing this, because if i get a good image and then a bad image it is visibly too obvious. Also matching it all together so its fits the graphics is a pain.

That being said, set your standards low, put time intro the images as a artist would do and enjoy!

EDIT::
I also use gimp, its just so nice and easy to use.

Also most images could be used, just have to credit the maker for it.

I use Paint.net, really any image editor will do that can produce at least .png files. A 2D animation is just a spritesheet texture/png file containing each peice of animation in blocks. Iterating over the spritesheet and drawing accordingly makes a animation smile.png

You can also try skeletal animation. Skeletal animations can be edited with, for example, Spine (http://esotericsoftware.com/), or Blender (if you need a free solution). Spine has an open source importer for C++/SFML for their JSON-based format. Animations created with both Spine and Blender can be exported to png files and may be used the same way as traditional sprites.

Edit: I've just found this: http://brashmonkey.com/spriter.htm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement