could i stripify mesh with blender or 3ds max?

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years ago

Hi, i need to stripify a mesh that i created because i need the stripifcation to import my mesh over a game file format. So i would like to know if i can stripify my mesh with blender or 3ds max and if it is possible how it is made?

Advertisement

Hi,

What do you mean by "Stripify"? That seems like slang to me.

Blender is capable of letting you do most of what you can in 3ds Max. I have used both and would much rather use Blender and lastly import into Max for certain things which are on rare occasion needed that way. Max is just a nightmare for me to navigate. Blender has improved recently in this regard, but always was more artist friendly than Max, in my opinion.

Remember that the fewer data files which ship with your model then the better the performance in the game. Examples of data files: Material, Texture, Shader, etc

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

What do you mean by "Stripify"?

It's the process of creating triangle-strips from your model's soup of triangles. It used to be an extremely important optimization.

I've used a few engines before that had their own plugins/exporters for 3DSMax/etc, which allowed artists to visualize and guide the stripifying process -- so I guess that if a plugin was required, then these tools probably don't exist by default.

What engine / format are you trying to make use of?

it is no for an special engine, i wan to make it because i create my own meshes and i import them over some game files.

Maybe if one blender exporter could do that i could read the triangle strip if they save the file into .obj format

I have noticed that in my Wings 3D, the Triangulation function creates nice stripification on the whole model. Because of the auto creation of it, I never knew what the term stripify means because I never needed to know it. Wings 3D does a nice job of it, but sometimes I have had to Triangulate parts of a model to get exact strip results by tweaking those areas manually. It was something I did for optimization and never know there was the term "stripify" to describe what I was doing! So cool. tongue.png

Wings3D saves in obj, by the way.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement