Goodbye Start button?

Started by
62 comments, last by _mark_ 11 years ago

When I want something I just type it instead of seraching the start button tree. I find it more convient smile.png

That's a 35 year step backwards in user interface, though.

Yes... navigating a tree of folders to find what you want is so much more modern...

Advertisement

I find people break down into two camps on Windows 8. Those what have not used it who bitch and moan about a missing little orb and archaic tree view of your programs. And those that have used it and realize it's a complete non-issue, and is a much more efficient way to interact with your programs.

I understand that there is fear about Windows completely becoming a walled garden, but those are unfounded. Look at the history of Microsoft and the troubles they have taken to maintain backwards compatibility in applications. As others have said, removing the ability to run desktop apps completely would be suicide for the operating system.

What the app store does, and does well is give people a safe and easy place to install applications without having to try to trust random 3rd party installers and payment systems. No more toolbars installed automatically for you from every 3rd party software company (I'm looking at you Oracle) who is trying to make some money at your expense.

Regarding the "walled garden", and getting back to the business market, this is one thing that's definitely not going to happen. Microsoft screwed up recently enough with Vista, providing an OS on which so much third-party software just did not work that nobody, outside of a pure Microsoft-house that's willing to upgrade everything to the latest version, was willing to take up. Disconnecting release dates of the server version from the client version also meant that there was an extended period during which Domain Admins couldn't actually manage the new features of the client OS.

It seems clear that there are strong forces in Microsoft who want to "do a Vista" again, but it's also clear that there's recognition there that it didn't work last time round (Windows 7 and the recoupling of release dates were reactions to that and they both worked very well). The business desktop will never be a "walled garden" because it's an obstacle to upgrading - what business is going to upgrade to the latest version of Windows if they have to throw out all of their legacy and third-party programs and start over? Answer: none. It happened with Vista and it will happen again, and Microsoft know this now.

So from that perspective all talk of a "walled garden" is nothing more than FUD, and it becomes necessary to question the motives of anyone who keeps on bringing it up.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Windows blue has been leaked,incase you want to know,it's pretty much the same thing as 8

Windows blue has been leaked,incase you want to know,it's pretty much the same thing as 8

Expected at this point in time. It's still a good while from release and is obviously being built on the 8 codebase, so these early versions shouldn't be much different.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I likes the idea of continually improving the OS until it comes full circle and ends up being a glorified shell prompt.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

a) it can fit many more default programs/shortcuts

I can actually fit more of them shortcuts on the desktop itself, the start menu adds to organizing other programs that you don't want showing as a "desktop shortcut".

b) it can display more search results

Most of the time I only need to type in a few letters and the program I want is there, I don't think more search results is a benefit really... at the same time the whole screen hasn't been covered up.

c) it will allow you to allot desktop space to "start menu" space by simply defining where your shortcuts lie

I don't understand why its so good to get off desktop shortcut icons.

When I want something I just type it instead of seraching the start button tree. I find it more convient smile.png

You can actually do this with windows 7, i do it all the time, also in the exact same way. Press the win key and start typing :P

My whole issue with Win8 for Desktops is this: Why would I use it instead of Win7? It just seems that Win8 came out 3 to 5 years earlier than it should. I can see why you'd want it for a tablet or even a phone. But for the desktop, it's a meh.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

My whole issue with Win8 for Desktops is this: Why would I use it instead of Win7? It just seems that Win8 came out 3 to 5 years earlier than it should. I can see why you'd want it for a tablet or even a phone. But for the desktop, it's a meh.

Sounds like all you know about Windows 8 is the start menu / metro application FUD. How about:

But please, lets keep pretending like all they did was remove the start button.

I'm not saying that they didn't improve things. But my life with Win7 is not horrible and in need of repair. It does all the things I want and need it to do and it does it well. And quite frankly if your OS needs two interfaces, then you're doing something wrong. Regardless of how many improvements you have.

And when did I mention anything about Start Menu? That's your hangup, not mine.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement