Drawing a Floor

Started by
14 comments, last by YodaTheCoder 22 years, 6 months ago
Hello. As you may allready know I am programming the FPS, and I was wondering how simple (or hard) it is to load a picture onto my floor.. and how... Like, could someone give me an example; Like if I wanted to draw a white floor? And then what if I wanted to load a picture onto it? All Im looking for is a floor... Thanks! ~Jesse
Advertisement
Honestly and sincerely, if you don''t know this yet, you''re not ready to make an FPS.

My opinion.
there are tutorials hell too much about image controlling with different apis and you''re too lazy to find any or read any and you''re making 1st person shooter, you think 1st person shooter games are hell lazy job to do? what the fuck, no no

1st person games aren''t same as nehe''s 10 tutorial

you''ve ever heard anything about technology behind the fast rastering or fast collision detection, yeah that''s harder part than reading image into the memory and rastering it with ogl or d3d

but, don''t misunderstand me, keep it going and
read books more than write the code.
there are tutorials hell too much about image controlling with different apis and you''re too lazy to find any or read any and you''re making 1st person shooter, you think 1st person shooter games are hell lazy job to do? what the fuck, no no

1st person games aren''t same as nehe''s 10 tutorial

you''ve ever heard anything about technology behind the fast rastering or fast collision detection, yeah that''s harder part than reading image into the memory and rastering it with ogl or d3d

but, don''t misunderstand me, keep it going and
read books more than write the code.
Yoda: Look at NeHe''s site. He has a lot of OpenGL tutorials. The 6th deals with texture mapping, and some of the later tutorials cover more advanced texture-related stuff.

I have to agree with the above posters though. Start small. The chance of you giving up increases with the size of your project.
LOL!! WHOA WHOA WHOA! Im not diving in and trying to make something like UT or Quake III here, I''m JUST trying to get a nice way to put in a floor... Sure, polygons/ quads work, but I AM starting small... Polygons were the first step, colored and lighting was second, now I''m trying to wrap an image on my floor to make it more realistic. Thats texture mapping, right?

Dont get me wrong, I know how hard and what is behind First Person games. They, right now, are so far ahead of me that I''m not worrying too much about them. I''m taking it one step at a time. Right now, I shall be happy with myself if I can get a decent floor, a ceiling (which will look like a sky) and be able to walk around. The controls are allready set, everything is good, now all I need is to figure out how to take an image and stick it on something. =)

I heard alot about binding and ID''s, but I was eavesdropping, and couldn''t catch everything.

Don''t think I''m some idiotic little newbie who after he learned how to make a triangle he wanted to program Quake 4. That''s a different person. =)

Anyway, thanks for the criticism and the few helping posts. =)

~Jesse

"Sleep is a waste of time."
Well Yoda, you could have expected such responses the moment you mentioned that you were programming an FPS. I wouldn''t really call my first attempts at OpenGL an FPS if I were you.

Anyway, you should really check out NeHe (see Dactylos'' reply). It has a good tutorial on texturemapping which should help with your floor. But that''s not all, it has much, much more tutorials which should help you with most of the things you will be adding afterwards.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
quote:Original post by YodaTheCoder
LOL!! WHOA WHOA WHOA! now I''m trying to wrap an image on my floor to make it more realistic. Thats texture mapping, right?

~Jesse

"Sleep is a waste of time."

it''s texture mapping, so you know that, where''s the problem.
Dont listen to these panzees!

Yes, as you mentioned you have to learn texture maping.

Draw a quand for your floor then learn how to texture gravel or rocks bitmap on to it or what ever you wish to map to it...
Oh, so wrap them on quads? =)

Okay, well, do you know of any place where I can read about it? Some place that explains it, so I can understand it?

~Jesse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement