Where to begin for developing with Andriod?

Started by
7 comments, last by mk.jr.fan 11 years ago

Hi I was wondering what would be a good way to start development for Andriod? My previous experience with game development is with Game Maker and Unity. I am currently a highschool student learning Java.

Without working completely with a compiler like eclipse or netBeans (we use that in school) to make a game before, should I make the game first for PC or would Andriod be easy enough to go directly (if I were to use eclipse)?

The reason I wouldn't want to use Unity or Gamemaker is because it cost to much money for me and I want to develop something free for my friends to play.

Advertisement

Well, if you are working with Java, you are going to want to work with either Eclipse or NetBeans ( or Intelij ), as running and debugging on Android from the command line is... not fun.

If you aren't tied to Java, there are a number of other language options available. The various Lua based game engines support Android, although two of them have price tags if you want to publish your app. Moai is a very good choice, but might be a bit above your skill level at the moment ( it's tricky ). HaXe supports Android deployment, as does the (currently free ) Loom game engine which I just finished taking an indepth look at. Signup now though, as the free offer runs out very soon.

Well, if you are working with Java, you are going to want to work with either Eclipse or NetBeans ( or Intelij ), as running and debugging on Android from the command line is... not fun.

You say that running and debuggin on Adriod is not fun. What do you mean by that? Is it just Java in general that it is hard or Java with Andriod?

I also feel that I should focus on Java since it is available for me in school thus I have a better resource from which to learn from.

You say that running and debuggin on Adriod is not fun. What do you mean by that? Is it just Java in general that it is hard or Java with Andriod?

I also feel that I should focus on Java since it is available for me in school thus I have a better resource from which to learn from.

No I didn't I said running and debugging on Android from the command line is not fun.

Eclipse and Netbeans do a lot of work for you on the debugging side that make the task a hell of a lot easier. You said you didn't want to use either, and with Android development using Java, that is a mistake.

No I didn't I said running and debugging on Android from the command line is not fun.

Eclipse and Netbeans do a lot of work for you on the debugging side that make the task a hell of a lot easier. You said you didn't want to use either, and with Android development using Java, that is a mistake.

Sorry I meant that I do not have much experience in working with Netbeans or Eclipse. So by using those programs I shouldn't have to much problems when debugging, correct?

Sorry I meant that I do not have much experience in working with Netbeans or Eclipse. So by using those programs I shouldn't have to much problems when debugging, correct?

I wish the answer was no, but...

Eclipse is the most stupidly over-engineered piece of @#$@#$ I have ever encountered in an IDE. The learning curve is stupidly high.

NetBeans is a great deal better, but at last look, Android support was a bit sketchy, because Google has ordained Eclipse as the one true way.

Granted, I am biased, I hate Eclipse with a passion, I think it's simply bloated and awful software that is incredibly inaccessible for new developers, a right pain in the ass for existing developers and one of the only tools that got in my way more often then it helped me. Other people absolutely swear by it though, so it may only be me.

IMHO, the very worst part about Android development is the toolchain, its far too fragile and frustrating.

Obviously learning Eclipse isn't insurmountable, but for an IDE, it is going to cause you a world of frustrations...

Okay so I've decided to start with making my game idea for pc using eclipse as for later it this will be going to android and since eclipse is supported by google I guess it is the easier way.

Okay so I've decided to start with making my game idea for pc using eclipse as for later it this will be going to android and since eclipse is supported by google I guess it is the easier way.

Generally starting with desktop as a target is a very good idea.

Just make sure you choose a game library that hase Android support. On the 2D front, the includes LibGDX, PlayN ( really nasty setup process though ) and AndEngine, with perhaps more available.

On the 3D side of things, check out jMonkeyEngine. Of course, there are lower level options available.

Well right now I am following a tutorial on making a 2d sidescroller which is what I was thinking of making. I'm going to try to take what I learned from that tutorial and my current knowledge of java and game programming to make my game without using libraries. I'm going to make this into a learning experience. So thank you for your help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement