List of games based on complexity

Started by
18 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 11 years ago

can any body list out the order in which one shud attempt to learn game programming by practice?

for example,

the simplest game is Tic-Tac-Toe

to more complex Pin ball,

most complex games like Age-of-empires...

list ny game you know in the order of complexity. please read other answers and post reply accordingly

thanx in advance

Advertisement

Any game can be complex. It all depends on the features and functionality you want to implement in the game.

In many cases you can figure out complexity of a game by yourself. Look at what features a game, and what prerequisites these features have. IE: Pong, two paddles and a ball. All of these move, basic physics is needed. Collision-detection is also needed. There's no way to rate the complexity in any sequence, it'd be arbitrary.

If you don't understand the stuff written here, please sharpen your C++ skills.

One of our members recently published an article into our shiny new article system entitled "your first step to game development starts here", and it includes a list of basic games for beginners to attempt.

Personally I normally recommend Pong as an excellent first game, and from there it's a reasonably easy step to continue on to a Breakout game with more complex features.

- Jason Astle-Adams

One of our members recently published an article into our shiny new article system entitled "your first step to game development starts here", and it includes a list of basic games for beginners to attempt.

Personally I normally recommend Pong as an excellent first game, and from there it's a reasonably easy step to continue on to a Breakout game with more complex features.

u got my question.

definitely, age of empire will not be position 3. it is unreachable for one person alone in one life time.

others have it almost right, the first game may be pong. but the very first program may rather be just some random visual demo that displays line and circles, images, animations of random graphics... well its just the way I did when I was young. my first game came only as my tenth or fifteenth program, if you count all the little experiences.

i'm not going to develop further because gamedev has whole articles to help in that regard :) good luck (honestly)

ps: one last word. "never give up" Donald trump said it, I'm saying it too, a computer is stubborn like hell, so you got to be stubborn even more to win.

How do you measure complexity?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

definitely, age of empire will not be position 3. it is unreachable for one person alone in one life time.

Absolutely not unreachable. A skilled and dedicated programmer can pull that off, and depending on how much existing engine and/or library tech is leveraged, it might not even take that long. Especially if you skip the AI and make the clone multiplayer only; I have a feeling that AI would be the biggest time sink.

number and size of subsystems and depth of their interaction...

man-hours, lines of code, number of meshes, textures, sprites, audio files required. level maps required, other content required, research required, etc, etc.

since there are a number of activities from number of disciplines involved, "minimum man hours required to achieve desired result" is the common unit of measure, whether your talking code, art, music, or whatever.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement