View's on Luxology Modo as a replacement for a 3ds max artist.

Started by
2 comments, last by chris3d165 11 years ago

Hello Friend's

I am someone who has been working with 3DS max for about 3 year's mainly through high school.

I will say this and i have said it too many time's i love the speed and workflow in max and i don't want to leave it, however the price tag/($3,500) is not exactly doable at this time.

I need something commercial and more friendly to my young wallet, i was using blender however the time difference to model something in blender and the extra steps needed to do the job vs what it would take in max make's me feel like i might be able to achieve better in something else close to max in a sense of ease of modeling with a more comfortable price tag.

So to clarify this do you think Modo the $1495 package is a good choice from someone like me with a good 3ds max background i am sure there are artist here with many year's more experience than i do and are lurking around being as great as you are so please you'r advice will be much appreciated, and also what are something's modo's does better than max and what are some of the thing's of which you like and find other programs similar cannot achieve.

Thank you ,looking forward to some great replies.

Advertisement

Hi,

For big or complex models like characters or vehicles, I build all or almost all the 3D in Wing3D because it is very intuitive to me, fast, and no cost to you, by the way. Often I do the UV mapping and a base texture in Wings3D as well. Most of the texture manipulation I do in GIMP after that. Next I Export/Import to Blender or 3ds Max for materials, shaders, and animation.

My workflow is the fastest and best quality which I have discovered with years of experimentation. I can now do a model 2 to 5 times faster than some of my colleagues and usually with higher quality.

Collada experience is good to have in your portfolio, too. There are game engines which are good with Collada between the 3D program and the game engine for animations and so forth.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

The fact that modo just got full animation in version 7 leaves me to suspect the animation features are sparse to be kind.

Modo has come a long way from being simply a modeller... but then, so has the price tag! I really wish Silo ( http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/ ) had continued under development, as it was pretty epic and for under 200$, filled a niche that nobody else could touch. But it's languished with no really development for quite a while.

I would suggest giving Blender another shot. If you havent used it since BMesh was merged in ( about 4 months ago ), it is a much different workflow now. You can make arbitrary cuts, work with ngons, collapse complex geometry down to a single face, etc... it is much improved as a result.

Well 3Ddreamer thanks for you reply however im considering blender or Modo at this point and thanks too Serapth maybe i should still keep using blender and just to add to this i am not only going to use the 3D app for game development in unity but also in 3ds max i did architectural visualization and still do none commercial as a way to build up a client base .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement