What should I do after mastering GameMaker Studio

Started by
2 comments, last by starbasecitadel 11 years ago

After GameMaker studio, what engine should I use next. You can suggest a beginner-intermediate engine.

Advertisement
Keep using Game Maker studio to make some games!

What are your goals? Is this mainly a learning experience or is it about getting games done? Are you finding that GM is limiting you?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think jbadams has hit the nail on the head here.

When you have mastered GM, you will have a solid idea of how the engine is holding you back. Can you list some things about GM which are preventing you from making the games you want to make? Or things you want to create which seem difficult or impossible with GM?

This will help us to advise you by suggesting alternatives which do not share GM's limitations.

This will help us to advise you by suggesting alternatives which do not share GM's limitations.

That makes sense if by "mastering gamemaker", OP means he has created fully playable game(s), possibly including publicly releasing them using GameMaker, and is now frustrated by its limitations and wants to create a more advanced game.

If on the other hand OP means he is a master of all the various features of GameMaster, using their coding logic and full capabilities, but has not actually completed a single playable game (eg he can make every feature individually as a stand along prototype, but not compose them together as a cohesive product), then the next step for sure would be to create a game or two on GameMaker and release them. A trap it is easy to fall into is to learn dozens of new languages, SDKs, engines, and other technologies for the sake of improving performance or the cool new features they have, without actually doing anything useful with it.

But if he has created some GameMaster games he is happy with, the next step is to answer these 3 questions:

- what kind of game types appeal to you the most (MMORPG, FPS, Facebook, strategy, shooter, social, etc)?

- what kind of platforms (PC, mobile, console) are you interested in?

- do you want to continue doing side/hobbyist projects, or do you want to join a game development company?

I wouldn't even think at all about specific languages/SDKs/engines until those 3 questions are answered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement