Is it bad to use an IDE when you're just starting out with programming in Java?

Started by
19 comments, last by tisdadd 11 years ago

If you don't use an IDE for Java programming you're not making use of one its most positive traits: Its very well documented.

In Eclipse, the distance between you and all of Java's standard libraries its literally just a shortcut, ctrl+spacebar. Hovering over any standard classes grants you access to all of its documentation. You get very nice highlights about what's wrong on your code, easy automatic imports, class outlines, refactoring tools, and a big, BIG etc.

You don't even need to learn all of the IDE to get going. Just use what you need and you'll be fine.

I mean, you could have Oracle's site open in a browser and looking for the doc there but really, its not necessary. Javadoc is nicely integrated in Eclipse, and you'll learn better from official docs (and the sources) rather than Googling around features that someone might or might not know exactly how they work.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement

I feel it is garbage. An IDE in modern programming is nearly as influential as
the language itself. Why spend so much time fighting your non-IDE? I find it hard to believe you learn better/faster with so much overhead.

You ever used Eclipse? Between learning Java and learning Eclipse... I think Java is the easier task.

Eclipse isn't an IDE, it's an operating system. :P

I feel it is garbage. An IDE in modern programming is nearly as influential as
the language itself. Why spend so much time fighting your non-IDE? I find it hard to believe you learn better/faster with so much overhead.

You ever used Eclipse? Between learning Java and learning Eclipse... I think Java is the easier task.

Eclipse isn't an IDE, it's an operating system. tongue.png

Eclipse is Emacs?!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

If all you do is write hello world in your text editor, ok you have memorized:

System.out.println("Hello World");

But for the rest of your life, eclipse will now be finishing your sentences, so maybe it's more important to learn the keyboard shortcuts for intellisense than to learn your APIs!

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

When I started my degree I didnt use an IDE for the first year, it really helps you understand the finer details if you ask me.

And in response to everybody else’s advice basically saying use an IDE, because it helps you avoid fundamental mistakes. That’s the whole point of learning to make those mistakes; IDE baby sits you way to hard and actually has a negative effect on you as a beginner.

Use an IDE.

Do not use eclipse. While it is the most versatile IDE, it's also very uncomfortable.

Use Netbeans or IntelliJ first.

Do not touch eclipse for Java unless you are developing for Android.

Your first steps in programming should not be resolving class-paths & compiling.

Your first steps should be: Writing simple code and running it with the push of a button.

You do not even have to understand all the code you write.

System.out.println("") should be implemented and understood before you understand what a class is. (Although the word class will appear in your first program).

One of the nice things in programming is that you don't have to understand everything that is happening in order to do something useful & fun. You can always dive deeper later. Learning the fundamentals before the fun stuff is the worst mistake a beginner can make.

Java is high-level programming. Have some fun, then dive deeper for the fundamentals.

Your first goal is to make stuff happen (get motivation).

Only your second goal should be to make and fix mistakes. smile.png

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

When I started my degree I didnt use an IDE for the first year, it really helps you understand the finer details if you ask me.

And in response to everybody else’s advice basically saying use an IDE, because it helps you avoid fundamental mistakes. That’s the whole point of learning to make those mistakes; IDE baby sits you way to hard and actually has a negative effect on you as a beginner.

I've seen this argument before - that using an IDE prevents you from learning the API, etc - and it's completely bogus. There's much more to an IDE than autocompletion: project management, integrated debugging, to name just two. Autocompletion is just icing on the cake and in any event you still need to know the first few letters of the method you wish to call.

Deliberately choosing a harder approach when an easier one exists (and just because it's harder, not necessarily better) does not make one a better programmer. In fact I'd be incluned to argue that it's the exact opposite of what programmers should be doing with their code, so why do it with their tools?

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I don't really understand people recommending not using an IDE. And I don't get what's complicated about Eclipse at all... I mean, really? We are doing such complicated software, and you find Eclipse difficult? That's beyond me. You don't really need that much out of it - plus it's the only Java IDE I know of that properly implements incremental build, which is a time-saver on non-trivial projects.

Java is one of the easiest languages, with very good books, very strong footing in academia, excellent IDEs and descent libraries. What you need is create new project -> edit -> run. It can't be simpler, honestly.

And writing Java code without IDE? For one of the most verbose languages? Seriously? That's probably the worst advice I've heard in a while...

It's not that eclipse is complicated (though it is), it's that it was designed by Martians - nothing is at all intuitive about it (at least when I looked at it a few years back).

On the one hand, learning while using an IDE is useful, as it will do a lot for you, and eventually, you're going to be using it a lot anyways.

On the other, when you're learning something new, having to learn to use some other potentially complex program at the same time, could be more confusing.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the above mentioned book, and another with the same suggestion (Head First Java 2nd ed), and many other beginner books, deal with such simplified examples, that there is no real benefit to using an IDE. The compilation errors are the same you'll see in an IDE, and line numbers and positions are often supplied, so finding the offending spot is still easy.

Lastly, learning without an IDE can give you a better idea of how things work... In Java, there's not much to the command line (as someone pointed out earlier)... In C++, it can still be that easy, but as an anecdotal point, there are many senior Visual C++ developers that have no idea how to use a make file, or compile outside the IDE.

In short, learning to use the tools outside the IDE will, in the long term, help you become a better developer.

-Alamar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement