Sign in to follow this  
Khatharr

for each, in - copying std::map elements?

Having a little time to mess around with coding I sat down and opened my input engine and found that it's no longer responding to keypresses. (I swear the thing was working when I archived it.)

I followed it in the debugger and manually simulated a keypress, but something is wrong with this blasted VS2010 'for each' loop:

void KeyMap::update() {
  for each(auto key in m_keys) {
    key.second.update();
  }
}

There's only one element in the std::map 'm_keys'. I follow the debugger into the update() call and have it set the object state to indicate that the key is pressed. When I come back out of the function keys.second has the correct state, but if I examine m_keys, the element there does not have the correct state. So apparently this loop is copying the std::pair objects from the map here? I disabled the copy ctor for the object's class and sure enough I get a compiler error. If I comment out the loop body I still get the error, so it's the loop making the copy, not the std::pair.

The MSDN docs for the loop make the cryptic comment 'When identifier is a tracking reference, you can modify the element.'

Gosh, thanks, MS. How the hell do I get it to work by reference rather than trying to copy?

I suppose I can just do it the old fashioned way, but I do like the simplified syntax.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time anyone that responds.

Edited by Khatharr

That would be 'pointer to' in that case, wouldn't it?

Ah no, I get it. Because it's on the left.

Compiler doesn't like it.

1>c:\users\khatharr\desktop\khatengine\khatengine\cl_keymap.cpp(13): error C2662: 'VirtualKey::update' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const VirtualKey' to 'VirtualKey &'
1> Conversion loses qualifiers

Wait a minute, why the hell is the VK marked const?

Let me see if I can track that down.

Okay, now I'm really confused. m_keys is declared:

std::map<unsigned int, VirtualKey> m_keys;

But this thing is trying to const it for that loop. What's up with that?

Same problem with this:

std::map<unsigned int, VirtualKey>::iterator iter = m_keys.begin();
  iter->second.update();
  return;
  //for each(auto& key in m_keys) {
    //key.second.update();
  //}
}
Edited by Khatharr

The description here of the for each method has been corrected at the bottom of the page:

for each returns read only objects There is an error under the section Remarks in paragraph 1.

It is not possible to update the elements in a collection by updating the element that is returned by the for each command. The for each command returns an object by value, not by reference.

This should not lead to a const error:

std::map<unsigned int, VirtualKey>::iterator iter = m_keys.begin();
  iter->second.update();
  return;
}
}

I think you mixed C++ and C# syntax.

The C++11 for range syntax is

for(element : container)

so try

for(auto& key : m_keys) {
key.second.update();
}

[edit]

Fixed code blocks

Edited by Rattrap

No, the problem is that MSVC (maybe not 2012 but not sure of that) if they support for each at all, only support the for each ( ... in ...) syntax. And apparently even that is only half the deal because the const-only requirement is not a property of proper for each loops.

VS 2012 definitely supports range based for-loops. I don't know if any VC before 2010 supported that weird proprietary "for each( ... in...)" syntax, so using it seems like a really bad idea if you ever plan to change/update your compiler. Apparently even if sticking with 2010, considering the annoying const-ness limitation.

The more or less "portable" alternative to using proper C++11 in VS2012 is the BOOST_FOREACH macro in boost or simply typing those few extra expressions for a regular for-loop.

So I presume there's some good reason you can't move to VS2012 and get to use the standard C++11 range-for (along with saving a lot of other grief as well)?

In VS2010 it's possible to use the for_each algorithm, or write a small template of your own for slightly more readability, while sticking to the standard:
// standard library
for_each(v.begin(), v.end(), [&](type& x){
});
// own template
foreach(v, [&](type& x){
});
I think that's got most of the usability, if not the performance, of the VS nonstandard extension. If you want both performance and usability, BOOST_FOREACH.

Try this

for(auto& iter : m_keys)
{
     iter.second.update();
}

That would be 'pointer to' in that case, wouldn't it?

Ah no, I get it. Because it's on the left.

Yes and no...

int a;
int& a_reference = a;
int* a_pointer = &a;

The "&" will always be on the left.

First: God dammit, Microsoft!

Thank you for pointing that out, Ashaman.

Second.

Yes and no...

int a;
int& a_reference = a;
int* a_pointer = &a;

The "&" will always be on the left.

I meant on the left side of the (implied) assignment. Thank you for the clarification, though. :)