Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Blitz Basic?!?

This topic is 5901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I was wondering about this Blitz Basic. I have seen some of it''s games and they look good. I know it is probablly much, much easier to use than Open GL or Direct X, although i havn''t tried it. I was wondering what advantages people would have writing their own engine over using something like Blitz Basic. Or is Blitz Basic better? I have been programming in Direct X for about a year now and find it disheartening to see that someone can make a game in less than 4 or 5 hours that plays better than mine... What are your oppinions? Thanks

Blitz isn''t free; DirectX is.

That''s probably the top incentive. Others include the fact that you really can''t use Blitz for anything other than games (maybe 3d apps) while C++ or any other "regular" programming languages are applicable to a wide range of problems, so your skills become useful for a variety of tasks.

If someone can make a game in 4 hours that plays better than your one-year old game, you just plain suck. Just kidding!

I guess a lot of people are going to either love blitz or hate it, depends what you like....if like infinitesimal control over everything you will need a low level language, i personally don''t...there something like blitz is great. It''s quick, easy has a few neat features like types, a thing comparable i am told to C structs, an array of objects with their own predefined variables, this is very useful for doing aliens and bullets and things like that. Blitz compiles into a fast executing exe, try the demo i made in blitz, it has way too many things flying around the screen, but for a basic language it is pretty impressive.......
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=DREAM09092001083635&comments=no

I think it only supports 3 gfx fileformats at the moment, bmp, png, and jpg, no alpha on the pngs either so that can be a downfall....doesn''t support any type of mpeg or avi formats although i am told you can use an external program that blitz executes.....

thats just my opinion by i was with blitz in the amiga days so maybe i am biased, still it works for me...

INVENTIVEDREAMS
We take care of what reality doesn''t
www.angelfire.com/ut2/dreamnite

I myself prefer Jamagic over Blitz Basic.

1: It''s based on Java syntax (Basic = yuk)
2: It is NOT limited to games. You can do pretty decent 3d programs aswell as other kinds of applications.
3: When displaying graphics you display them on "surfaces" and those surfaces can be used in a window to display the gameworld or they can be used as a texture on another object in the 3d world to create a nice "monitor" effect.
4: If you make an app or game it can be run on Linux, MacOS and others.
5: IntelliSense (need i say more?)

Find it at www.clickteam.com