Where to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by KillerKadoogan 11 years ago

I've been trolling around the internet looking for ideas on how to begin working on my own game development but I haven't had much luck on how to start. I have learned bits an pieces of numerous programming languages through both university and proffesional experience but nothing that I think can be used in game development.

My ultimate goal is to create a 2D, sprite based hockey game similar to EA's NHL series on the genesis and SNES but based on Division 1 college hockey. I'd like to add features such as a full dynsasty style mode similar to the one used in the NCAA football games in which the user selects a school and plays through multiple seasons, develops players, recruits players during the offseason, competes for national championships, etc.

As I said this is the ultimate goal and I understand baby steps would be necessary for someone like me with limited programming knowledge. I realize this may be a very open ended question but where do I start? What language/development environment would be best suited to design and develop something like this? Is there a book or books that I should look into reading?

Advertisement

First, read me. That covers the technical bits and bobs. Including your language, book and environment questions.

Second, realize that even a SNES calibre 2D game is the work of months to years. For your very first project think much smaller or you are setting yourself up for failure.

First, read me. That covers the technical bits and bobs. Including your language, book and environment questions.

Second, realize that even a SNES calibre 2D game is the work of months to years. For your very first project think much smaller or you are setting yourself up for failure.

After you read his article --and you should-- read this article to get an idea of how to further proceed.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

After you read his article --and you should-- read this article to get an idea of how to further proceed.

Agreed, the article Alpha linked is full of good recommendations regarding the type of projects you should in fact pursue next.

Thanks guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement