Sign in to follow this  
GamersofAwesomeness

Where Should I Start? [Noob]

Hello Everyone.

I'm interested in becoming a Game Delevoper. I have an idea for a 3D Game, but I have no idea where to start. I am currently a 16 year old sphomore in High School. We have a Game Design class where we use a program called Game Maker to make 2D games. I have recreated PacMan, Break-Through, and Pong so far. I also have basic knowledge of the HTML language.

I just visited a college visit where I will major in Video Game Development. We wil be using the program Unity.

Obvoiusly downloading Unity is a good start, but I'm guessing I need to know different langauges, how to make 3D models, and lots of programming. Where should I start, and is there any noob friendly guides?

Thanks,

-Jake

Start by reading these forums there has been about 3 of this same question asked in just the last few days at least.  All of them are still on the front page.

Edited by EddieV223

Because this question is slightly different, I'll answer this way. Continue to make games in Game Maker. As for 3D, if you're sure that you are going to use Unity, then start reading the tutorials and such for Unity. As far as friendly articles go, you should check out the articles on this site.

Because this question is slightly different, I'll answer this way. Continue to make games in Game Maker. As for 3D, if you're sure that you are going to use Unity, then start reading the tutorials and such for Unity. As far as friendly articles go, you should check out the articles on this site.

I'm sure this project will be succesful if done right, and I'm willing to spend all the time in the world to make it the best it can be. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to check out the articles on this site.

Hi,

In your case because you are focused on Unity3D, start with C#.  It is on of the easier languages to for beginning and has tons of tutorials and other tech related support. Of course, you should make a few more 2D games using your Unity3D language of choice.   Is there a 2D version of Unity?  Check into it.  Unity has a gigantic community which can help you, too. 

It is very advantageous for an aspiring game developer to have at least some 2D and 3D creative capability and insight to relate to the artists, as well as knowing the technical demands of art assets on the game.  I recommend Wings3D and/or Blender to start. Look at GIMP for texture manipulation. 

Have fun and keep at it! 

Hi,

In your case because you are focused on Unity3D, start with C#.  It is on of the easier languages to for beginning and has tons of tutorials and other tech related support. Of course, you should make a few more 2D games using your Unity3D language of choice.   Is there a 2D version of Unity?  Check into it.  Unity has a gigantic community which can help you, too. 

It is very advantageous for an aspiring game developer to have at least some 2D and 3D creative capability and insight to relate to the artists, as well as knowing the technical demands of art assets on the game.  I recommend Wings3D and/or Blender to start. Look at GIMP for texture manipulation. 

Have fun and keep at it! 

Hi,

Have fun and keep at it!