Fire Magic

Started by
22 comments, last by mipmap 11 years ago

I dunno if you have a crafting system, but as far as non-combat magic goes it seems like heat and light would have a ton of relevance to blacksmithing, mining, working with gems, felling trees, bending wood into bows, cooking, and anything related to steam power if your setting has discovered steam engines.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

It hasn't, but yes there is a crafting system im working on designing at the moment, though not very developed yet since im working on unique magic and creatures n stuff.

~Nullie

seems like heat and light would have a ton of relevance to blacksmithing, mining, working with gems

Heh, I can imagine some pretty cool spells, like Burning Grip that would burn anyone you grab (perhaps for a melee type spellcaster), but would also have the useful side effect that you could grab a piece of charcoal, grip it firmly, and turn it into diamonds. (we'll just skip the fact that extreme pressures are also required eh?)

What about some environment effects like:

Heat Wave: Heat up the air in a large radius. Anyone in heavy armor starts feeling dizzy and/or missing their shots. In addition talking becomes difficult, so any spoken spells can't be used

Scorched Earth: Turn the earth into smoldering coal. Depending on how strong you want it to be: either anyone who stands still long enough will take damage/catch on fire, or anyone who just comes into contact with it long enough starts taking damage/catches on fire.

And a spell with two strengths (possibly just two spells):

Heat Weapon: Any metal components of the target's weapon become so hot as to be unholdable (essentially making him drop the weapon)

Melt Weapon: If the weapon is mostly metallic, you melt it from the target's hands, dealing him some damage depending on weapon type

Using skyrim for example, the only fire spells are "fireball" "fire storm" "flames" and an elusive fire wall spell that comes on staffs

Skyrim and Oblivion are (IMHO) both pretty bad examples of spell variety (specially in Oblivion, many effects reduced to a "Ball of [insert effect]" spell).

You'll find better examples on action RPGs (Two Worlds has an interesting card system for spells) , or more "classical" isometric view RPGs like Diablo series or Sacred (or even fire benders in Avatar!).

Bethesda's way of doing mages is the sole reason why I never played one on their games :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I quite liked the spell customisation in Sacred 2.

As you put points into a spell, you could decide how you wanted to customise it.

e.g. At fireball spell level X, choose between upgrading to a larger fireball or a spread of smaller fireballs.
At level Y, choose between increasing fire rate or increasing damage of each fireball.
etc.

These choices typically resulted in the same overall DPS, but each was more suited to a particular play style, and so the choices were meaningful. E.g. a single large fireball favours players who make calm, targeted attacks, while a spread of small fireballs favours a more frantic player.

thats the idea, but rather than upgrading each spell individuakly, players have to expiriment with different patterns in order to increase the power and radius of different spells, sometimes addin interesting or unpleasant effects.

I like the scorched earth and melt weapon ideas. i'll add them to the list.

~Nullie

-Fire Gaze: Allows you to see with thermal vision

-Blinding Fire: Ignites enemies eyes on fire. More effective agaisn't creatures with light sensitivity

-Liquid Fire: Lobs fireballs that drip liquid fire. Creates pools of fire that can flow down hill.

-Magma Tounge: Caster is able to devour any metal with an intense heat within the mouth.

-Dehydrate: Burns the liquid within enemies bodies causing dehydration effects and constant damage

-Fire's Will: Stir caster or allies resolve with the ferocity of fire itself. Increase to all will type abilities or determination

-Melting Grasp: Melt objects with the grasp of the casters hand

-Scarr'ed Mark: Caster burns tatoo marks on target creature for spell effects

-Fire Tornado: You can imagine what this is

-Rain of Embers: Ignites free falling objects in the air causing them to deal fire damage in addition.

-Embers Foresight: Able to have preminitions by staring into a fire or hot coals/embers

-Fires Message: Caster can leave writing or a small fire figure of himself in the still burning ashes of any fire to leave a message

-Salamanders Tounge: Whips out a long gecko like tounge made of fire to grasp objects or creatures

-Burning Speed: Casts a fire buff on ally. The faster or further distance the target moves the more friction and fire charges up. Upon becoming still the built up fire explodes around the target. (Good for long charges or a free falling object)

-Blood Raze: Casters blood can be ignited remotely to catch on fire.

Here are some ideas. Hope they are helpful

• warmth - Mana regen bonus (Diablo 2)
  • Fire = Speed: Movement speed bonus with fire trail
  • ghost fire!
  • combine a fiery inferno suicide with a phoenix-like resurrection ability

Fire has probably a lot of different meanings in other cultures which might inspire you to some cool non-destructive abilities.

the game im planning on using these in is a multiplayer (not MMO,think sorta like minecraft or borderlands. ) game with hardcore ideas and permadeath, so the suicide bombing one would be tricky to implement, but dehydration would be good, seeing as hunger/thirst is something i am considering.

A couple by senyu are repeats or have little actual value, for example, how would one implement the ""foresight" of looking into a fire?

~Nullie

so the suicide bombing one would be tricky to implement

I plan on having a "suicide" attack in my game, but it functions something along the lines of rendering the unit/player useless instead of fully killing them, so perhaps something that drains their energy or ability to use attacks. If this is more a match style play with teams, this could be effective for say running in and trying to wipe out a cluster, but you are left a sitting duck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement