Why +1 when logging in ?

Started by
12 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello smile.png

All is in the title I think.

Personnaly I don't like getting +1 just because I'm logging in.

I'd prefer that the reputation value reflects only the contribution of someone, not the fact that he/she logs in every day.

Finally like it was before, if I remember correctly. rolleyes.gif

Advertisement

Being active on the forum is, in a sense, contributing to the community. It is limited to one +1 per day so it's a fairly limited source of reputation, but still awards you for being active.

Ok, thanks. But I don't think I'm contributing to anything when I'm logging in. And it ruins the efforts I make when, *sometimes* I've myself something to say, and not to ask.

Active readers do contribute a little to the community.

Even if they go months without writing any comments they still generate ad revenue, and they still improve popularity of the site.

It is a small contribution to be sure, but it is something.

Logging in daily shows you are at least an active member and frob is right in that it does generate a small amount of ad revenue, which helps keep us funded..

Look at anybody with a high rep (frob or brother bob) and you'll see that logging in certainly isn't the reason they have such high reputations. Authors are the ones who are really going to score big in the near future but a series of well-written replies can get enough upvotes to match an article contribution.

Writing an article nets you around 150 rep once peer-reviewed plus +4 for each upvote.

Thanks for the replies. wink.png

Look at anybody with a high rep (frob or brother bob) and you'll see that logging in certainly isn't the reason they have such high reputations.

Of course, obviously. I'm more concerned about small contributors like me : I'm sure I get more rep points because I loggin regularly than when trying to help, so my rep means ... nothing.

In addition to recognising regular visits -- which are valuable for the reasons outlined above -- +1 for logging in also serves another purpose.

One of the common complaints about previous incarnations of the reputation system was that it was too hard to recover from past mistakes; once your reputation dropped it was VERY difficult to recover. Now there's a simple way to un-do a damaged reputation, simply by visiting regularly.

Another by-product of this is that when someone has a very low reputation they probably really deserve it, as they've obviously been down-voted consistently enough to out-do the daily +1.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for your explanations. I guess I just a bit misunderstood the purpose of the reputation system.

Bye

If you were really concerned about inflated reputation the place to attack that is upvoting. If you have upvoted 5 posts a day from the start of the new reputation system you now have at least 2190 reputation. 365 from logging in and 1825 from upvotes. At only 3 upvotes a day you still have 1095 + 365 or 1460 reputation which is well above the average.

For instance there are only 40 people over 2300 rep so 5 upvotes a day plus visiting puts you in the top 45 or so without ever getting an upvote yourself.

This is true.. but the real reputation "gold" out there lies in becoming an author. Since my previous post where I mentioned it we now have a case example.. AllEightUp accumulated almost +1000 reputation in about a month.. and the articles being around still will get him more reputation over time. Authorship is the single biggest way to advance quickly in rep. Logging in and upvoting show that you are participating in the community and you can accumulate points over time.. but it just doesn't have the immediate impact that either writing articles or providing helpful posts can have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement