What is Linux and how to use

Started by
6 comments, last by DanG 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m a novice programmer and coputer hobbiest. I have been stuck with MS OS since all my computers i bye come with it. I would like to try Linux. However I know nothing about Linux. Does it feel about like windows? Can a program written for windows run on Linux? Is the Redhat 7 the best Linux? Do you have to know computers pretty well to use Linux? Is Linux that much better than Windows (especially XP as that is the alternative for me)? Any response greatly appreciated.
Ambassador: Mr. Bush are you stoned or just really, REALLY dumb?Pres. Bush - I assure you I am not stoned.
Advertisement
Hello!
I do not advise the beginner to take Linux. You should all this know. Use as a last resort Linux Mandrake 8.x. or XP from MS!

quote:Original post by DanG
I''m a novice programmer and coputer hobbiest.

I have been stuck with MS OS since all my computers i bye come with it. I would like to try Linux. However I know nothing about Linux. Does it feel about like windows? Can a program written for windows run on Linux? Is the Redhat 7 the best Linux? Do you have to know computers pretty well to use Linux? Is Linux that much better than Windows (especially XP as that is the alternative for me)?

Any response greatly appreciated.

The answer to most of your questions is NO, first of all, Redhat 7 is not necessarily the best Distro to buy, it depends on taste. I prefer Mandrake, SuSE and Slackware while some others might prefer something else. No, your windows programs won''t work under Linux, as Linux doesn''t use the same window server as windows does. Third, try it and see for yourself...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
I sagest you might consider Red Hat Linux in the Red Hat Box.
Becouse tech-saport comes with the box auto-uggrades too.
I have found that after the Linux learing basics, Linux is not
harder the Dos or windows in the programming feild. But you need
to note I came from Dos when if you hade an enterface you wrote
it yourself. And new the Linux install is not varry hard, and
thay have KDE and GNOME for Graphical User Inerface.

Gary Russell (ISSW)
ghrussel@swbell.net
Gary Russell (ISSW)ghrussel@swbell.net
If you haven''t broken a computer before, don''t use lunix. If you haven''t played with your computer enough to screw it up once in your life, you won''t like using linux. It is a lot more manual than windows. It''s not any more difficult than windows, just fundamentally different. And the differences require an inquisitive mind that likes learning new things. The only hard part is all the learning.
I installed Mandrake 8.1 Linux and it was unbelieveable easy! I faced problems with RedHat and Debian that I could''n resolve, but Mandrake installed straight away. And can you imagine I was surprised that it had graphical installation at the very beginning, while others I tried worked in text mode.
I think what made the instalation easier is that I had a brand new harddisk, so it was safe to partition.
Yes, linux is better than windows. I have never EVER had a linux crash, and it runs much faster than windows. It has far better networking too. Dont get red hat 7. It has bugs, lots of bugs(still far better than win though. Its main problem was it was compiled with a beta compiler). I use RH 7.2 now, and I love it. I would recommend it, or suse 7.2. The only thing about suse is that opengl development does not automatically install with it. but I believe it is on the cd(you can select it to install in install manually though.). It is not necisarily aimed a computer illiterate, like windows is. But once you get used to the differences, youll love it.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Well, this double post got revived somehow . Here is the original version of this thread (it is kind of hard to justify original, since it was a double post, heh).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement