• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sock5

Using XMVECTOR as a class member causes a crash only in Release mode.

This topic is 1905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to use XMVECTOR as a class member for a bounding box, since I do a lot of calculations, but I use the XMFLOAT3 only once per frame, so the bounding box has a method that gives me it's center in a XMFLOAT3, otherwise it stays in a XMVECTOR;The class is delcared with __declspec(align(16)) and works in debug mode.However in Release mode it crashes the instant I set it to something:

Box& Box::operator=(const Box& box)
        {
            _center = box._center;
            _extents = box._extents;
            return *this;
        }

Whenever I do:

Box A;
Box B;
A = B;

It crashes, giving me 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Also it crashes when I create it as a pointer:

Box* A = new Box();

This is the constructor:

Box::Box()
        {
            center = XMVectorZero();
            extents = XMVectorSplatOne();
        }

Again, this works fine in Debug mode, but in Release it crashes.What could Release mode be changing that would generate invalid code?Do I need to do something else, other than aligning the box to 16 bytes?

Advertisement

The only time I have ever heard of issues using this class is with respect to the 16 byte alignment.  Are you certain that you have correctly enforced the alignment?  I recall reading through the following page very closely when I ran into this issue some time ago: DirectXMath.

Yeah, turns out you have to overload the new operator and use an aligned allocator for 16 bytes, fixed it for me.Thanks for the links.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!