Sign in to follow this  
Quat

Organizing Shader Programs

I'm trying to rework how I organize my shader programs.  I precompile my shaders at build time.  I would like to loop through all the compiled shader files in some folder and create the corresponding d3d11 shader interface (e.g., ID3D11ComputeShader).  However, given just the compiled shader bytecode, I don't think I can figure out the shader type, so I don't know whether to call CreateComputeShader, CreateVertexShader, etc. 

Yeah I could do something like that.  Is that what people are doing?  I know I asked a specific question, but I was also looking for possibly better ways to manage shaders.  Do people just treat shaders like assets and lazy load them and store them in a hash table?

Most of our shaders are packed as part of assets that are processed by our build system, so we can provide any metadata needed by the runtime. We do have some standalone shaders that are compiled via scripts. For those the runtime just loads by name and has to know what type it is. To distinguish different shader types we'll usually just add "_vs" or "_ps" suffix to the name.