what do programmers do on their off time?

Started by
35 comments, last by CryoGenesis 11 years ago

I find my self needing a break from time to time, but i also have a project im working on, with a few people involved. Now, there is no time quota its all hobbyist stuff, but i do feel the need to always be learning more about programming, since i am the java programmer, and i am fairly new, learning about programming and programming theorys and concepts for about 7 months now, and the actual syntax of the java language for 4 months now.

Now back to this break i was talking about... i use to, well play games! all the time... if i wasnt eating sleeping or trying to hack the lastest andriod, id be on My Xbox roaming the wastelands of Fallout 3(aweeeesssooommee game, my favorite... i want to create one of the likes one day) untill my eyes were bloodshot...

now i have sold my xbox because, yes i did get tired of it, and it sat doing nothing for about 6 months, collecting dust... with my new found hobby of wanting to create and program games!

but Now i find my self not knowing what to do, to relax and get my mind off the next problem at hand, or wanting to test some new code i have written down. i try getting on youtube and watching funny cat videos, epic fail compilations, or people doing this new found harlem shake(disturbing i know!) but i always end up getting sidetracked with a little voice telling me"hey, you really should learn how to do_____"<- fill in the blank". And i go and look up random tutorials on how to do, whatever i need to do at the moment for another hour, just getting my self back to the mind set of"Damn i need a break!" And the horrible cycle continues

what do you do for relaxing? I know it sounds corny but its becoming a real problem! like i really cant seem to relax like i use to. Any sugestions would be much appreciated.

Sorry for boring you with my personal life and its problems if you just dont care xD.

Advertisement

Maybe you should try something out of the house or away from your computer? Do you have any other hobbies?

Sports or other exercise? For for a walk or jog?

Building something? Lego? Electronics? Carpentry? Paper mache?

Reading? Fiction or non-fiction, comics, magazines?

smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Eating, watching Youtube videos, doing part-time jobs, tackling OpenGL ES 2.0 on Android, sleeping, listening to neighbors fighting and arguing, pay monthly and service bills. And my cum box.

Just your average day, no less. :/

Beat Dwarf Fortress?

o3o

I recommend taking up a martial art. As software people, we sit way too much, and need the exercise. It is a lot of fun, and can really help you get your frustrations out. And it is great for confidence, which we know programmers need :)

There is something very comforting about entering the dojo and training just like people did hundreds of years ago. Wearing the same clothes, feeling the same things, couldn't be father away from the computer.

I've studied Aikido for years, but any one would be good.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Whatever gets you out of the office is good. (If you do work-related stuff from home, then home also counts as "the office" in this fashion.)

Another way to put it, go somewhere that has no computers. Some form of exercise is a must.

IMO, fighting sports kind of suck if you can't commit to training at least twice a week, and preferably more. Injury risk goes way up whenever you are out of practice, and getting back on the wagon is hell.

Lifting (as in powerlifting, kettlebell lifting, etc.) is very efficient time-wise for building general health and fitness. You can attain great results training just once a week, or progress faster by training more. It rewards patience and understanding, so it's a good fit for programmers. Unlike with most sports, you constantly see your objective results, which is motivating not unlike beating your high scores. At least for the first year or so, the results will just constantly go up. It takes very little effort to become stronger than, say, 90% of people. You have to concentrate fully on the lifting when doing it properly, which clears the head. I taught myself from books and some internet videos; it's not hard to get started.

Building something? Lego? Electronics? Carpentry? Paper mache?

Try breadboarding a Z80 microcomputer. When you feel like programming again you can learn assembly code and make it blink an LED!

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Sometimes I also like to just play a record, put on my headphones, and just sit there for a few hours staring at a wall with the sounds going through my head. Pretty relaxing when it's Bach, not so much when it's Devo.

Three years ago I got my amateur radio(ham) license. This is really fun, you can talk to nice people locally or all around the world. While the process of studying for the exam, setting up your equipment, and getting on the air for the first time can take a while, anyone can get started having fun with a shortwave radio. It is surprisingly relaxing to listen to the old guys on HF radio talking to each other and if you tune around you can pick up music from shortwave stations all around the world.

Or you can run. I'm the dude that runs around wearing formal shirts and Khakis, but you should try sweatpants and T-shirts. It makes it easier, but you don't look as interesting.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

I advice against brain-demanding hobbies if your job is already brain-demanding.

I advice against brain-demanding hobbies if your job is already brain-demanding.

This.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement