Visual Studios 2012 has been released for 8 months now, what are your current opinions about it?

Started by
30 comments, last by Vortez 11 years ago

At first I actually hated like the style (looked like windows 8), but after a while of using it I now I like it, the dark theme is really nice on the eyes - VS2010 didn't have such a out of the box theme.

Advertisement
I'm curious about it too, but in all probability I'll never get to see it in action at work.

We've got a very large existing code base. (Nine years of accumulated cruft.) We found we cannot move to VS2012 thanks to its ungodly memory requirements. We'll likely be on 2008 until the project stops making money.

Most of our projects are minimalistic, but we do have a monolithic "everything" solution that contains ALL the tools and engine and game code and, of course, all the cruft. Opening that monster in VS2008 takes about five minutes and 1.2GB of memory if the machine hasn't had the intellisense DLL's deleted. Intellesense removal saves minutes of load time and a quarter gigabyte of memory... and that's on VS2008.

For us, attempting to migrate to 2012 is impossible thanks to its eating memory like candy and Microsoft's decision to keep with a 32-bit IDE. We were able to get project files converted, but the IDE takes up so much memory that it sometimes crashes out of memory when compiling, and if we were lucky with incremental builds it would crash out of memory when debugging. Even hacking it to set the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag isn't enough to satisfy its hunger.

<sadface>

I wasn't too enthusiastic at first, but I like it better now. I'm glad that the incremental search now highlights all current matches as you're typing, it might make the smug vim users in our office shut up for half a minute. We still can't get the graphics debugger to work at my office, despite it having the less functionality than the tool they stopped updating 3 years.

I'm using it to code in C#/.NET and together with Resharper 7 (a third-party tool to boost productivity/instant code guarding and so on) it is really the best IDE I think, worth all the money...

Do they ever update VS releases to fix the ridiculous nonsense or are they just going to wait for the next excuse to release a newer version that uses more resources in order to break more things?

Oh wait, it's MS. They'll do both, but fail at the first.

Honestly the main reason I installed 2010 was to get access to auto typing and some of the new C++ stuff, but that apparently isn't going to happen and oh baby does it run poorly and look awful. I really don't understand the MS mindset. I just want an IDE that does its job. If I upgrade it's because I want access to new features, not because I want the UI scrambled all to hell and the performance trashed.

I've held off on going for 2012 because it was pretty new when I was upgrading. Is it worth my time to upgrade? I'm not exactly running a cutting-edge box here; I'm on an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.41 GHz) with 2GB RAM. I'm running 32-bit Win7. I have to check at school and see if they require a certain IDE. If not I may actually go back to 2008. (I always just nuked the ncb files, lol.)

Ah, maybe I'll get lucky and the school will use gcc. I've noticed that I have cygwin and a bash account on my workstation at the school.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm curious about it too, but in all probability I'll never get to see it in action at work.

We've got a very large existing code base. (Nine years of accumulated cruft.) We found we cannot move to VS2012 thanks to its ungodly memory requirements. We'll likely be on 2008 until the project stops making money.

Most of our projects are minimalistic, but we do have a monolithic "everything" solution that contains ALL the tools and engine and game code and, of course, all the cruft. Opening that monster in VS2008 takes about five minutes and 1.2GB of memory if the machine hasn't had the intellisense DLL's deleted. Intellesense removal saves minutes of load time and a quarter gigabyte of memory... and that's on VS2008.

For us, attempting to migrate to 2012 is impossible thanks to its eating memory like candy and Microsoft's decision to keep with a 32-bit IDE. We were able to get project files converted, but the IDE takes up so much memory that it sometimes crashes out of memory when compiling, and if we were lucky with incremental builds it would crash out of memory when debugging. Even hacking it to set the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag isn't enough to satisfy its hunger.

<sadface>

Who would've thought text could take up so much space? wink.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Due to other issues I haven't played a lot with it.

The new search interface pisses me off. But I'm ok with it in general. Some new C++ features are good, albeit I'd rather not take them on a daily basis. Except std::function and labdas. Those are cool.

Previously "Krohm"

I'm glad to hear 2012 is an improvement (UI speed-wise) over 2010.

A silly question: I heard somewhere that with the Visual C++ 2012 Express edition you can only develop for windows8. Is it true or it's has all the features what the VS2008 Express?

You may be thinking of the original announcement to make the Express version of 2012 only compile for Windows Store ("Metro") programs, but they backed down on that (e.g., see http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/240001856/microsoft-drops-metro-only-approach-for-visual-studio-express-2012.htm ).

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

I love it, no issues yet, the offline help is great too (not sure if that is new), I was a site a while back where VS2012 got flamed purely because of the design choice.

I like the Gfx addition too, so glad I can finally say good bye to PIX and I haven't used V2010 in months so I cant really remember other new features.

Do they ever update VS releases to fix the ridiculous nonsense or are they just going to wait for the next excuse to release a newer version that uses more resources in order to break more things?

They actually already put out an update.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement