Antivirus false positive

Started by
1 comment, last by Bacterius 11 years ago

I am making a 64-bit game engine. I use http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/, which is 32-bit, to render my user interfaces. In order to make this work I had to wrap CEF in a separate 32-bit process that runs in the background while the 64-bit engine process is running. The two processes communicate with each other using named shared memory.

Today, a friend of mine agreed to help me test out gameplay in a multiplayer scenario. I made a release build (first time trying engine out in non-debug) for this test and ran it to make sure everything was okay before uploading it for him to download. When I ran it my anti-virus protection was triggered. It was complaining about the 32-bit user interface process. Obviously, this is unacceptable.

The only thing I do that could possibly trigger anti-virus (at least I think) is access named shared memory. The rest of the code simply starts CEF, stops CEF, read input commands from shared memory, and writes a rendered image to shared memory.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a way to prevent anti-virus from false flagging my program?

Advertisement

It's sad, but the only thing worse than viruses, are antivirus programs.

If your program is Windows only, an option would be to create a COM interface for your programs to communicate through instead. It will probably be slower, though.

Is there a way to prevent anti-virus from false flagging my program?

Yes. Whitelist the program in your antivirus, report it as a false positive to the antivirus developers and be on your way. Unless you really want to hack your way around this particular antivirus (and run the risk of being flagged by another one).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement